Second attempt at Blue Lagoon (complete) entry


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
December 4th 2007
Published: December 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

At the Blue Lagoon(Well, this is my SECOND attempt to send the COMPLETE blog entry on the Blue Lagoon.......am having technical difficulties this morning! There should be 34 photos showing, and changes in some of the text.......but that's not what I'm getting........so I'll add more later today so you get the full story 'cause they're too good to miss! My apologies for this.)


Good morning, everyone! Well, my body clock is totally confused..........went to bed at 7:30 last night; up and at 'em at 4:30 this morning! It will take a few days to get oriented again. Tons of snow fell in London, Ontario yesterday. Guess I"ll be out shovelling later this morning..........the ride home from the airport on Sunday night was a "white knuckle" affair. I was the only person in the airport shuttle and was glad that I wasn't doing the driving! It's the same type of weather that welcomed us back last year.

Big news today..........it's Carroll's birthday!!!!! Happy Birthday to you, my friend! Thinking of you, and missing you already! It was so much fun working with you; you are a natural leader!

(and it's Brenda's birthday on Sunday, but I won't be sending a blog then........so birthday greetings to you also, my friend!)

Ok, so you saw my earlier blog on Iceland. It was an amazing day of touring. The sun scenes were breath-taking. The wind was also breath-taking that day, ha ha!

We got back to the hotel and people had time to rest and relax for a while. I was chatting with people and getting feedback on the trip; I'm always curious to know what people enjoyed, what was their "ah-ha" moment, what was their happiest moment, what was the biggest surprise for them, and so on. (you can read all about it in my next book!) Anyway, we heard some great stories and I'll share a few more in this blog. There will be one last blog coming to you later this week, which will be an overall summary of the trip.

We had our Gala Farewell Dinner on Saturday night at the hotel. The banquet room was decorated beautifully! The meal was very tasty. People were in a jovial and fun mood. The Icleandic Air crew joined us for dinner. It was like welcoming family back to the table. Iris, one of the stewardesses, had told us about a child she sponsors in Africa. When in Kenya, she had the chance to visit that child. What a story! (for more information, go to www.abc.is; click on the flag to get the text in English) Earlier in the day, Carl had mentioned that we would be having an auction at the dinner that night. If anyone had items to contribute (things they bought earlier in the trip and decided they didn't really want or need them), then bring them to the dinner, he would auction them off and the money would go to Iris for her child (and others) in Africa. You will see from the pictures that we had a very fun time with that!

There was fabulous dinner music playing. People had time to mingle, visit and say their good-byes. Lots of friendships have been established. When you spend a month together as we did, it's easy to find a few people who will remain in your lives, and your hearts, forever. There were a few speeches (by Carl, Ben Jr. and Ben. Sr.), the auction, some music and a bit of dancing. Most of us left fairly early because we were tired. I did learn, however, (the following morning) that Seth and Susan were hosted by the stewardesses until the weeeeee hours of the night. They were introduced to many of the local bars in Reykjavik and introduced to many of the local drinks also.


We were up and at 'em and on the buses at a decent hour. We were heading to the Blue Lagoon. Normally, I would have packed my bathing suit and joined the crowd. But I didn't sleep very well (with a stuffed head and sinus problems), and certainly didn't feel very well that morning, so I passed on going into the waters (probably a mistake, but.......oh well, that had been my early morning decision). We got to the Blue Lagoon and it was just as amazing as last year. Many renovations had been completed inside as they are expanding. The Blue Lagoon is world-famous for its healing waters (for skin conditions) and for its products. I had the cameras of many people in my group and, along with the help of Gugga (our tour guide), we went outside to the pool and took as many pictures as we could of everyone. It really is a special moment and a special time. We all had time for a bite to eat and then it was back on the bus for everyone. Time to head to the airport. Departure went well.

On the plane, well.........there definitely was an air of sadness. People were up and down the aisles, chatting, visiting, and saying their final good-byes. It was a 5 hour flight. Carroll, Fay, Brenda and I took advantage of that time to work together on our Final Report for Travel Guild. And it took us all that time too! Carroll did the typing and we did the chatting! (not hard for any of us)

I know, from many of the discussions I had with people, that a great time had been had by most. I heard comments that people would be signing up for another tour (either the Southern Hemisphere, the new Northern tour, or South America). You, too, should give it some serious thought.........www.privatejettours.ca Don't hesitate! Book early!!!!!!

(Suzanne and George Louette, from Beaconsfield, Quebec had these words to say about the trip:

Suzanne: for me it was a great, great experience. We decided late to come. When we found out it was a private plane and we would get to all those places, it was perfect. I enjoyed the group, the crew and the captain (such a good-looking hunk!). Something funny: when we went through the Equator, George was sitting on the toilet and felt the bump of the plane. Memories!

George: we wanted to go to Africa (had been many times and enjoyed it); this is our 50th wedding anniversary and we wanted to go and do something special. Found a little flyer in CARP about this trip and we booked it, because it was going to Africa. Two things: the concert in Prague (symphony) was out of this world; we had been to Prague before and had attended a concert and it was awful. This one was fabulous. And the balloon ride in Luxor was super. Name tags made a big difference so that you can meet everyone and know their first name. There was no stress for anyone; everything was handled perfectly! We would definitely recommend this trip to other people.)



As the plane heads in to Toronto, we're looking out the windows and see nothing but white below. Yikes. A snow storm. We were very lucky to have been able to land the plane! I guess there were many delays and cancellations at the Toronto airport earlier in the day. More good-byes as we picked up our bags and then people were on our way.

I know that people come into our lives for a reason, a time or a season. I made some good friends and look forward to staying in touch!

A sincere thank you, once again, to Carl and Ben for giving me this opportunity. It was an adventure! I look forward to working with you again in the future. Long live the blog! (and there's just one more to come........the Finale!)

(Hi Mom! I'll chat with you later today.)

Happy, Happy Pat (with the head cold........but nowhere near as bad as last year's!)


Advertisement



4th December 2007

Thanks
Thanks Pat, I really enjoyed your blog. Following my Mom and Ned's trip was made possible by your fantastic writing and photos! We are happy that you are all home safe and sound. I hope to be able to go on one of these trips one day! Michelle
6th December 2007

Thanks for sharing!
I loved every word as you described this marvelous journey! I truly was with you all in spirit! THANK YOU.......THANK YOU........THANK YOU...... Pat!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb