Back in Reykjavik - Running in Memory Of Nabil


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
August 18th 2007
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Marthon BillboardMarthon BillboardMarthon Billboard

Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures at the race, but we basically looked like these folks ;)
On Thursday, we returned to Reykjavik, where we would stay for the remainder of the trip. Thursday evening and Friday were spent relaxing in the local hot pools, eating out, walking around the city, and visiting the National Museum of Iceland. We also walked over to the sports center to pick up our registration packet for the annual Reykjavik Marathon on Saturday. We were both signed up to run the 10 km race.

Most of our hiking group was part of a larger group that was gathering in Reykjavik to run in the races associated with the Reykjavik Marathon in memory of Paul Nabil Bustany. Nabil passed away on August 19, 2006, after a long battle with cancer. He was a caring, funny, amazing person who I was fortunate to know through his sister, my good friend Christine.

Nabil's family has established a foundation in his name in order to raise money to support research of synovial sarcoma, the rare form of cancer that Nabil had. You can read more about Nabil and the foundation at http://www.pnbustanyfund.org/

So, on Saturday, the day before the first anniversary of Nabil's death, many of his friends and family gathered to run
The Blue LagoonThe Blue LagoonThe Blue Lagoon

We stopped at the famous Blue Lagoon, which was actually pretty green, for a few hours on the way to the airport home.
in his memory. We runners were also joined in spirt by the many, many others who "sponsored" us through their donations to the foundation. The day of the race was clear and beautiful. It was a truly remarkable experience to run with so many people, to collectively remember such a great person.

After the races and an afternoon of rest, we gathered at Christine's uncle's house for a garden party. Then, we took to the streets of Reykjavik to enjoy the local night life.







Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Michael the VikingMichael the Viking
Michael the Viking

Visiting the Museum of Iceland.
At the clubAt the club
At the club

The downtown area was pretty wild the night of the marathon. Thanks to Christine's cousins who had reserved us a table at one of the clubs, we were able to bypass the long lines and start drinking and dancing.
ChurchChurch
Church

This is the church across the street from our lodgings: the Eric the Red guest house.


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb