Have You Seen Grey?


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Keflavik
February 28th 2018
Published: February 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Plates Greet Each Other Plates Greet Each Other Plates Greet Each Other

Foot bridge built over the meeting of the North American and Eurasian Plates. As a bonus two Birds waving.
Greetings from the country of Iceland. Your lovable travelers departed Baby Bird's house at 12p on Tuesday arriving in Iceland at 6a local time (that would be 1a your time). Of course we were tired, especially poor HP who slept not. Both Birds slept with mama Bird sleeping on the flight from Atlanta to New Jersey's beautiful airport (yeah, we're lying about the beautiful part) as well as from NJ to Iceland.

After clearing immigration and customs we sat on our collective hands for perhaps 45 minutes waiting for the shuttle to transport us to our car. The delay was really fine as sunrise (if one could label it thus) did not occur until 8:30. Well, our direction challenged pilot (HP) then attempted to proceed west looking for an ATM and breakfast. After several times surveying the same terrain both tasks were accomplished. Not long afterward Baby Bird offered herself as a superior pilot with HP readily agreeing and attempting to equal the Birds with sleep.

No pictures from the first couple of hours, none deserved. Actually, as implied by the title the day was colorless but with a couple of interesting tidbits we'll show you. The North American
Annoyed Mother GeologyAnnoyed Mother GeologyAnnoyed Mother Geology

Perhaps the continued movement of the tectonic plates and heat destroyed an old foot bridge.
and Eurasian tectonic plates travel through Iceland producing a very geologically active country, and we captured the meeting point of these plates just for you (okay for us as well). These ingenious Icelanders have managed to harness the heat resulting form the grinding of the plates to produce essentially all of the heating for the entire country and seventy-two per cent of all electricity needs in 2006. Imagine it is higher now. Alright nuff said, pictures follow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Hot AirHot Air
Hot Air

Geologically active area with power plants about.
Lopsided ArrowheadLopsided Arrowhead
Lopsided Arrowhead

Off the south coast we see an old lava dome
Three BirdsThree Birds
Three Birds

Human Birds easy to discern, but there is a feathered one about to take flight in the center.
Last Lava StandingLast Lava Standing
Last Lava Standing

Last picture of sea eroded lava formations.


1st March 2018

Looks cold
Interesting. What is the temperature? What is the size and population of Iceland? Thought your title was referring to Sheila's hair. Enjoy!!

Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb