Iceland - from Golden Circle attractions to majestic South Coast


Advertisement
Europe » Iceland » South
July 29th 2017
Published: July 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Till about a decade ago, Iceland was not a hot tourist destination that it is becoming now. I guess, it was not even that well known country. Iceland has been in international spotlight only a few times as far as I can remember. In the 80s, Reykjavik, Iceland's capital city, hosted two superpower's leaders, Reagan and Gorbachev, for their many meetings that began an end to the cold war. Then about... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

black lava coast at 2 amblack lava coast at 2 am
black lava coast at 2 am

Rekjanes penisula



30th July 2017

A wonderful Icelandic sojourn!
Where have you been all this time, Hem? It's a wonderful narration of your Icelandic expedition! And what an interesting idea of sightseeing in the night! Stunning photos as always! Missed your photos. Looking forward to reading more of your experiences and to enjoy the wonderful images through your lens!!
30th July 2017

Thanks Gangopa. Iceland is a stellar destination. Had to do a first trip in summer when it never gets dark even though sun does not make an appearance often because of cloudy and rainy conditions!
30th July 2017

Great read
Some really good information , thanks. I have flown to the US from UK via Iceland but never done a stopover there yet. It's on the list so it was helpful to,read you blog. The photos are beautiful. Did you find the camper van also expensive to rent. I have driven them in New Zealand and Canada and USA so it would be a good option for me.
30th July 2017

Thanks Lynne
Well the stop-over Icelandic vacations are becoming popular specially with good promotions by Icelandair & Wow. These promotions generally run in winter. But if you go in summer, things become expensive. CamperVan rental is expensive in summer but a good way of seeing Iceland. But not advisable to drive these vans in windy conditions and winter weather.
30th July 2017

Good to see you traveling again
Iceland is one of our favorites! We are stopping there again in October for a few days on our way back to the states. We certainly agree with your assessment, "Iceland is a country abounding in natural beauty. From towering peaks to verdant valleys, from imposing glaciers to azure glacial lakes, from volcanoes to geothermal features, Iceland seems to have all the eye candy for nature lovers. It certainly has to be one of the most naturally beautiful countries in the world! " Really enjoying your trip.
30th July 2017

Hi Dave and Merry
This was my first trip to Iceland and I just drove the Ring road. This island nation would need multiple trips to explore it 'properly'. I see that you have already experienced Iceland in late summer. In Oct, maybe you'll get to see those dancing green lights in the sky!
30th July 2017
dirty glacier

Magnificent
An outstanding collection of the colours and textures of Iceland Hem. Magnificent.
31st July 2017
dirty glacier

Thanks Dave. South coast of Iceland is where I saw the 'ice' in the land of fire and ice. Glaciers, icebergs and even beached ice. Wonderful area. Though you need some help from the weather Gods while in Iceland and specially in the south coast!
31st July 2017

Amazing photos
Iceland seems like a photographers paradise! As always, I enjoyed looking through your photos... I love the idea of experiencing an endless summer day - quite literally! How did your body clock cope with the lack of darkness? Looking forward to more blogs.
31st July 2017

Yes, Iceland is indeed a photographers paradise. Regarding body clock, I just adjusted in a couple of days. I was out the first night as weather was nice but it is difficult to become an owl overnight! If the sun had been out all nights, yes I would have tried to sleep during day and roam around in the night! During non-cloudy nights, long golden hour light can create a spellbinding effect.
31st July 2017

Great blog! Wonderful photos, useful info, thanks for sharing!
Dear Hem, did you see anyone cycling around Iceland? How windy was it? Looking forward to hearing more of your time in the north.
31st July 2017

thanks Jeremy
I do remember seeing a few bikers. Not sure if they were tourists or locals. It did get windy one day towards the end of my trip and driving the van felt risky. Other days were just fine with regards to wind.
3rd August 2017
Strokkur geyser

Wow!
That was a very good picture. I am impressed. /Ake
4th August 2017
Strokkur geyser

Thanks
This was taken in portrait mode. Got a bit stretched horizontally after uploading! The sun star effect is due to minimum aperture of F22.
3rd August 2017
Fjadrargljufur Canyon

Nice blog post
Thanks for telling us this story. Sounds like you had a bit of an adventure but that you enjoyed it. /Ake
4th August 2017
Fjadrargljufur Canyon

Thanks Ake & Emma
Yes Iceland feels like an adventure. Nature and weather there add to the experience. A beautiful country and nice people.

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb