Pingvellir, Geysir, Gullfoss


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South
April 2nd 2010
Published: August 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On the road, we saw that the national flag of Iceland was hanging half mast. So we asked our local guide Haukur for the reason. "Today somebody important died", he said. We all thought it had to be an Icelandic Viking or politician or something like that. But no, we haven't thought about the fact that it was Good Friday, the day Jesus Christ died...

First we visited Pingvellir, Iceland most important historical site. It was here that the Vikings established the first democratic parliament. The name of Pingvellir stands for Parliament Fields. You can also see the valley separated by the North American and Eurasian Tectonic plates. These plates move each year 2 mm away from each other.

On the way to Geysir and Strokkur we saw a frozen waterfall.

In the 1950's some tourists threw some stones in the Geysir, with result that the geyser didn't erupt from that moment as "in the old days". Some say that it still erupts three times a day, but the time we were there, we didn't see it anyway.
The Strokkur on the other hand erupts every 6 minutes. Impressive to see. Just before the explosion, you can see a blue balloon on the ground surface. Maybe I should enroll myself a course photography, especially for these moments... As you can see, it was very cold that day.

In the 1920's some foreign investors wanted to dam the Gullfoss waterfall for an hydroelectric project. Luckily their intentions failed.
Near to Gullfoss, there are stones piled up. They used to do this in ancient times to visualise the track. Nowadays little piles need to bring happiness.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb