Iceland Day 4


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Hella
July 30th 2014
Published: July 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Another day on the road, bright sunshine, and warm but windy, and another first for us as we have driven from the American continent to the European, and we walked across it twice as well, no passport control, no customs: nature’s boundaries seem so much simpler then the human ones. This was at Þingvellir where the continental plates from the Americas and Europe meet and they are slowly tearing themselves apart; so as Europe and America get further apart Iceland gets bigger. Not sure I will be around long enough for cartographers to have to redo all of the maps as the movement is somewhere between 1 and 18mm a year.



Þingvellir was also the seat of the Icelandic parliament for their republic between 930 and 1798 and is now a national park and a UNESCO world heritage site, and home to the largest fresh water lake in Iceland.



From there we went on to Geyser and took the obligatory photos as it erupted and then on to Gullfoss which is the most spectacular falls where the rainbows form in the mist in the bright sunshine.



Another first for today, we actually picked up some hitchhikers – a couple of girls that turned out to be Polish, working in Iceland for the summer.



We saw plenty of sheep and even more horses today, which is perhaps apt as we are staying in a ranch style hotel for the next three nights: Hotel Rangá – first impressions are good.



Well that sums up today: we have visited the tourist sites, seen the views and the crowds but still a great day, great sights. We were blown away...and that was just the wind!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb