Iceland Day 1


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Northwest » Snæfellsnes
July 27th 2014
Published: July 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The end of our first full day in Iceland, after being treated to a two and a half hour sunset as we followed it west from London yesterday evening. Finding our hotel last night was an adventure as we drove through what looked like a landscape out of some post apocalyptical Hollywood movie with lights in the sky and smoke being picked up in the headlights as we navigated through this semi-darkness which passes for night here at this time of year. But in the morning the lights in the sky are from the geothermal plant, and the smoke is simply steam from the same source.

First stop this morning was the Blue Lagoon, which is a naturally heated mineral bath not far from the main airport. This led to another first, my first facial: you scoop handfuls of the silica mud out and then slap it on your face where it dries and you can then wash it off about 10 minutes later. I may be missing the point but why not just wash your face? That being said it was a fantastic experience to swim in the milky, mineral rich waters heated up to 37 degrees.

We have spent the afternoon driving up to the Snaefellsnes Peninsula through fantastic scenery, from starting out in lava fields, through rolling hills and then into the more mountainous terrain of the peninsular where from our hotel room we can see eight waterfalls making their way down to the sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb