Iceland Tour Day 6


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Northwest » Borgarfjörður
July 10th 2022
Published: July 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We are continuing our around the island tour and heading west to Borgarfjorour. This is area was voted as one of the destinations bu Lonely Planet on 2016. First stop was Deildartunguhver Hot Springs, situated on a beautiful farm, it's the most powerful hot spring in Europe with a flow rate of 180 liters (50 gallons) of water per second at a piping hot 97°C (200°F). The scalding water rushes out of an algae covered rocky outcrop.

We then visited the Historic settlement of Reykholt, the home of the former chieftain, politician, scholar, and author Snorri Sturluson (1178-1241). We went inside the 1887 charmingly restored church where I stood in the pulpit and delivered my Sunday morning sermon, lol. There is also a very handsome new church on the grounds with appealing lines. The Exhibit of "Snorri Sturluson and his Time" explores life and times in 13th century Iceland and provides a systematic account of Norse mythology, much of with might have been loss to history.

Next was our visit to Sturlureykir Horse Farm which is a family run farm and has been in the same family for over 150 years. Sturlureykir is the first geothermal in Europe. They cook and they heat with the wonderful geothermal hot water that is provided at no charge by mother nature. Those of us that did not ride toured the grounds and the stables and learned what makes Icelandic horses different., Sturlureykir horse farm is a local horse breeding farm with about 60 horses. Every year 3 to 5 foal are born. The horses are breed to be good, riding horses and competition horses.

The day wouldn't be complete without a waterfall or two! The two were very close together, Hraunfossar is a kilometer long succession of small waterfalls that drapes over the lava rocks. The Barnafoss, known as the Children's waterfall was a short walk away and is a low cascade straight from the lava field. Also known as Children's Falls as 2 children disappeared and were believe to have drowned there.

We parted company with most of tour group as we stayed behind in Borgarnes for the 7th day of the tour, while most of our group did only a 6 day tour. We had a wonderful time with all of these lovely people over the last 6 days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb