Contrasting scenery


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North
August 10th 2010
Published: August 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We are now in the North East of the country and today we did a few hikes around the town of Reykjahlio which is a thermal area with steam all over the place. We can’t remember all the names of the different places that we went and visited but what we do know that they are very different places to see. The steam coming out of the ground in some spots is unbelievably hot with the ground over 100 deg.

The first hike took around two hours so we still had much time to head to do another hike close by and this was more challenging. We took of heading to a thermal pool which is in a cave. The water is way too hot to bath in but interesting to see this underground with rocks all around us. Further on we came to a old volcano which we climber and walked the rim which is around 1km and from here we got to have great views all over the horizon. The climbing was fairly good but heading down was a nightmare but you would not believe it, we bumped into a fellow Tasmanian. She heard my accent when talking to Diana so we soon go chatting away. There Aussies on the trip we have meet so far, two from Canberra and one from Hobart. Actually we were just talking to a guy from France and he meet another Tassie guy a few hours ago.. Good travelers!

After four hours we had finished a hitched a ride back to our car to head more north to the whale watching capital of Iceland in, Husavik. We made a small detour and went past another massive waterfall called Godafoss. Now we have no idea how many waterfalls we have seen along the way so they need to be big to impress us now and this one did.

We just cannot still believe how many new things that Iceland has thrown at us. Everyday still something new and tomorrow we are heading out to maybe see some whales in the bay. It is just the most amazing country we have been to.



Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 29; qc: 138; dbt: 0.1429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb