Iceland Tour Day 5


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Akureyri
July 9th 2022
Published: July 21st 2022
Edit Blog Post

Last night we traveled through numerous mountain tunnels to gt to our hotel in Akureyri. This sophisticated and thriving city is called the "Second City" and is much warmer and drier than Reykjavik. We have definitely lucked out in the weather department on this trip. The first known settler was "Helgi the lean" who arrived here around year 890. We dined with others from our group, including Renee's new friend, Zack and his father John, at the Rub 23 and enjoyed some great sushi. We are getting use to having virtual daylight around the clock. Sunset has been around 11:30 pm and rising 2:30 am, but it really doesn't get dark with dusk and dawn.

Today's main event is a whale watching tour in Dalvik in the longest fjord in Iceland, Eyjafjordur Fjord. We had to put on our Gumby Suits. We chased whales, who were not too cooperative, put the dolphins put on quite the show. I did manage to catch a whale's tail photo and great video of the dolphins. Unfortunately videos are not able to be uploaded to this blog, but can be viewed on my facebook page. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous and the boat ride in the fjord very enjoyable.

In the afternoon we continued our scenic drive on the road between the towering mountains of Iceland' best ski resorts and glorious fjord taking us around the Trollaskagi peninsula. We passed through charming villages and hamlet and stopped at Siglufjordur, which was known as the herring fishing capital of the world in the 20th century. We continued traveling on through farmlands and fields and lots of Icelandic horses. We stopped in Bifrost, a small university community which was now houses Ukrainian refugees. It seems all of Europe is helping with housing the refugees.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Rainbow sidewalkRainbow sidewalk
Rainbow sidewalk

We saw these though out Icelnd
Getting into  our Gumby SuitsGetting into  our Gumby Suits
Getting into our Gumby Suits

That's what they called them in the police academy
See the dark tunnel through the mountain?See the dark tunnel through the mountain?
See the dark tunnel through the mountain?

Dark spot around 10 o'clock above the rocks
Here comes the bird againHere comes the bird again
Here comes the bird again

Whit head at 9 o'clock


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb