Jokulsarlon and Vik


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » East
February 27th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 64.0674, -16.1691

Set the alarm for 7am as we have a long drive ahead of us. First in for breakfast and on the road to Jokulsarlon by 8am. Jokulsarlon is a lake where ice fractures off the Breioamerkurjokull glacier, and floats through a causeway to the sea. It was only 315 kilometres (4 hours 30mins in the car each way)! What an amazing sight... Well worth the drive. Apart from fantastic scenery on the way; snow-capped mountains, waterfalls, miles of flat volcanic and rocky plains etc, the lake was amazing - huge blocks of blue/white ice bobbing around. We wandered down to the beach on the other side of the causeway) it was surreal... littered with huge chunks of ice that had washed ashore onto the black volcanic sandy beach. It didn't look natural, no matter how much it was. As we had a 4.5 hour journey back we didn't stay too long. We headed off, had a coffee pit stop in the southernmost Icelandic town of Vik, which had another black sand beach and three basalt stack rocks in the sea before turning into the little village of Skogar to see the turf-topped houses, now part of an open air museum showing how people lived in Iceland. Then on to the Skogafoss waterfall, a 60 meter drop. We took the steps to the top to see the river that dropped over the precipice. KFC was next door to the petrol station where we filled up, so we filled up KFC too after our very long day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

JökulsárlónJökulsárlón
Jökulsárlón

This is an amazing place
Washed Up On The BeachWashed Up On The Beach
Washed Up On The Beach

It breaks off the glacier, floats through the lake and into the sea.... before getting washed up on the beach with volcanic black sand. Amazingly surreal.


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb