What a spectacular day


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » East
August 9th 2010
Published: August 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We were hoping to do a hike today since the day before was just sitting in the car pretty much. We got a few recommendations to do a hike in the north of the East fjords so it was exactly where we headed in the morning and we found a nice trail to follow. The walk was fairly easy and took around four hours so not too bad. The aim of it was to reach a blue lagoon which is in the middle of massive boulders left over from an avalanche that happened some time ago. We passed a few people along the way but only about eight for the whole time so a lot of time for ourselves which was very nice.

From here we headed inland to Reykjahlid which is supposed to be around 2 hours away but the scenery was very much unexpected so it took us close to four hours. We got to see some reindeer also which were wandering on the road and soon bolted when we approached. It is very difficult to describe the scenery along the way since it is forever changing and we were saying that it is impossible to get bored with the scenery as it is changing all the time. From high mountains to complete stretches of black gravel it was amazing. We also got to see a very strange storm front as which was so black but the sun was on the horizon and looked very weird. From the storm front we got to see the rainbow also, but not any rainbow the colors were so bright. We have seen nothing like it before but hard to take a picture since it was very close and a full half circle but looked very cool.

Close to our destination we to Hverfell which has steaming vents and went for a look but the smell was soooo bad. We could not stay for long as it is so strong and was like rotten eggs but a lot worse. Actually the hot water in Iceland has a pretty bad smell with it so taking a shower is an interesting time.
Arriving over the hills into Reyjahid it looks like the place is on firs but everywhere you look steam vents are coming out of the ground and filling the skyline, It looks quite strange driving through here with the bad smell but tomorrow we are going to be swimming in it so better get use to it!

Oh along the way we came across a pit stop but not any pit stop.. this was in the middle of know where and only a solar powered shed with a vending machine inside. It has a guest book and all and to use the vending machine all you need to do is click the on button and wait two minutes and away you go. Quite funny and in a wonderful location.



Additional photos below
Photos: 91, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb