Cruising the Danube through Hungary


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary
August 2nd 2010
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.5334, 18.9857

Our first stop was Kalocsa (pronounced kuh-LOW-ch-skuh). We have been provided with our own earphones to use for the week for the guided tours. The receivers to plug the earphones into are kept at the ship's reception desk so they can be recharged as needed. The first tour went out promptly at 8:30 driving in a coach with about 30 people to the baroque cathedral and the archbishop's palace. We didn't go in the palace, but the guide, Gabriella, bragged about the library in the palace saying that it had a collection of 150,000 books, including a Bible that had belonged to Martin Luther and another one that was written on palm leaves. She also told us that the collection included some of St. Paul's letters. She didn't explain what they were like.

The Baroque style cathedral is quite beautiful. It always surprises me to walk into a church, especially in a small town in the countryside, and find such beautiful architecture and art inside. The most surprising feature was the pink color of the walls. The church has beautiful gilding on much of the decoration in the altar area and lovely stained glass windows. There are two marble
PaprikaPaprikaPaprika

The drying paprika looks very familiar to us.
statues on each side of the sanctuary representing Stephen and Lazlo, the first two kings of Hungary, and the only canonized kings of the country.

Kalocsa is known for its paprika production. We visited the Paprika Museum (Magyar Fuszerpaprika Muzeum). The paprika is not native to the region, but was brought there from Central America. The paprika is made from chilies and is hung to dry looking just like New Mexican chili ristras.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb