Hungary, Day Three: GYŐR


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Western Transdanubia » Sopron
March 2nd 2008
Published: March 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday was our final day and my favorite part of the whole trip. If breakfast was bad the first day, it was simply laughable the next. The lights were out (although they had been working fine at dinner the night before) so each table had only a candle. The bread was a half an hour late and the drinks came in stages. It was a bit ridiculous, but it wasn’t worth complaining about. It was definitely memorable! After our funny little meal, the entire group gathered their belongings, checked out of the hostel, and boarded the bus. We made a quick stop to Parliament for pictures (for those who weren’t able to go on Saturday because of the storm) and then continued on our way to GYŐR, Hungary for the spas!!!!!! Hungary is famous for its abundance of thermal baths.

I haven’t been in a bathtub, let alone a huge pool of warm, rejuvenating water in a long time! Ahhhh, it was so wonderful. The building that housed the spa was actually really large. There are several floors (at least 4); the main floor houses a few swimming shops, the payment desk, and a small snack shop. The upper levels contain rooms for massage and a small restaurant. We were given black wristbands that allowed us access to the lower level, which contains changing rooms and lockers. Each level has glass walls that allow one to look in at the pools. There were several pools, two of which were partially outside and inside. One had a giant waterfall and there were even two waterslides; massages and saunas were available if you paid extra. It was so nice! The spa was a wonderful release after the miserable storm and oppressive feeling of the city. I was surprised at the families and children running around, as I had (wrongly) assumed it was more adult entertainment. People of all ages were splashing around, enjoying the warmth and tranquility offered by the water. I spent at least two hours in the delightful water, so I was happily sleepy when we returned to the bus. I slept the entire four hours back to the dormitory. I did a little homework and then slept soundly for the rest of the evening!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb