Day 38 - Mohacs


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Southern Transdanubia » Mohacs
August 8th 2015
Published: August 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Another smooth sailing and we get to eat breakfast while sailing today, a little sleep in and a later breakfast as well. We finally dock at our destination in Hungary - Mohacs (pronounced Mohaxe). This morning we have time to do nothing as we watch the ship do it's thing when docking - very smooth process, once we get the right dock - skipper is obviously told one thing, but the man on the shore tells him to use the next dock. No problems, just slide along a bit. Another ship comes in behind us and docks not long after.

We have lunch on board then get ready for our shore tour of the Mohacs memorial park and city tour. There was also a choice of a winery tour but decided against that as some of the wines have been less than impressive. The memorial park is built on the site of a battle from 1500'ish (the year, not time). The Turks invaded Hungary and within several hours had killed the major Hungarian army of 15,000 men. The bodies were buried here and they have since made an impressive memorial park. We then went into the old town. Bloody hot today, someone said 39c....... This walk took longer than expected and by the end everyone was knackered so back to the ship for a well earned drink.

Dinner was as usual a feast but we did cut back on our courses tonight. We also had an option of a movie in the back lounge, but when we got there it was pretty full, and also very stuffy so we passed on that one - they have said that they might play it again later. We just took our wine upstairs to the top deck where there was a nice breeze and sat there with a British couple chatting. Their grandson is a renowned orchestra conductor so they travel to Europe to watch him perform (and he is only 24).

Drinks done so off to bed. We had been warned that as we are leaving Hungary for a non Schengen Agreement country (Croatia) there would be Hungarian border control officers that might want to do face checks of passports. Sure enough, the phone rings in the room at 0110 and we are summoned to the reception desk to show our mugs for these control police. Many interesting sights tonight, some dressed, like us, others in dressing gowns, others not........

Well organised by the ship, we line up, give our room number and the crew hand us our passports, we open then at the picture page, show the control police and they do the obligatory look, then stamp the passports. Even got a good morning and then we thanked them (we had been warned about being flippant or making smart comments to them - one wrong word and we could be there for quite some time). We got a smile from our Cruise Director, Adrien and off to bed. Another different border crossing experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.445s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb