Back to Hungary for Mari family reunion


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Northern Hungary » Miskolc
August 7th 2010
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We are back with Leslie on the road....and this is the big news. Flight from Rio to Madrid, than from Madrid to Frankfurt where I met my parents who brought us Leslie. We rent a car, and directly on for 11 hours drive to the North of Hungary.

Ma'ri has a big family...to simply make it short, her parents have more than 40 grandchildren. So every year, they have a big family reunion. My first one was last year. it can looks quite impressive at first look, but what is really impressive is the love of this big family, one that you do not meet often. Sadly for us, this year the family reunion will also be without Tiffany, not our choice, just a reality.

We spent three days in the countryside, few kilometers away from Miskolc. Here the time is spent chatting with family members up to the very late hours, seeing the kids play together around, sharing meals and activities. What is also very important in Ma'ri's family is the place of God, this is what may also bring their unity and so much love.

One day we went to visit one of the monthly market. It does happen on a Thursday and a full village seems to be ready to reap the rewards of the event. You find a little of everything. We spent most of our time cruising the animal areas. The place is full of funny birds, chickens, gooses, but also pigs and horses. It's always a fun experience for Leslie, after all Mari and I may have grown in the countryside, Leslie is more of the city type of kids.

Next stop was for the local castle. The one we saw last year next to Ma'ri's parents home was way more impressive. For privacy reason I do not put huge amount of pictures on this blog, I just want to let you know she has an amazing and impressive family. Next year we will not be able to make it to Hungary for the summer as we have plans for another continent. I already regret it, but life is made of choices.

So after three days, and a little of rain for the last night, we are back on the road...for another country, and way more sea and sun! Oh yes, and the fun of Hungary is that it is another one of these wines countries. Let's put it simple, they produce great wines, and some very bad ones...so each day we try to discover a little more. One day we will take the time to head to the vineyards to learn a lot more...one day...We have to learn a lot more about their grapes also. You can have a nice merlot or cabernet sauvignon from one vineyard...and there pinot noir is simply...bad.

If you have any proper advise on wine, do not hesitate to comment....but keep in mind we are only looking for the best (we are very fuzzy!)...and yes I do know what is Tokaji!

With love from three of us from Europe, next entry coming soon, few hundreds miles from here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



12th August 2010

Hungarian Wine
We only recently learned that a Hungarian wine region existed (we'd only heard of slivovtiz) and Andras is in the wine industry so it must not be promoted like France, Argentina, Australia, California, etc. Glad to hear that some of the ones you tried were good! The only Hungarian varietal I know is Agria - its very fruity, like a Syrah but not as complex. Not sure if it would stand up to your palate if you prefer the French styled wine, though. I will say though, if you want good Pinot Noir you should try wines from the Willamette Valley, Oregon. It's such a tricky grape to get the climate just right - but I don't know how international their distribution is. Happy travels!
12th August 2010

Hi
Wow, this is a comment. You are going to laugh, but leaving in Asia, the only french wines we are drinking are sauternes and champagne. For Pinot noir we main;ly stick to Malborough (NZ), or Yarra Valley (Australia), for Shiraz it barossa and Adelaide Hills in Australia too...plus a lot of Chilean and Argentinan different varietals. Great to know that Andras is in the wine industry...in summer 2011...we have stops planed in Central California, Oregon and Washington....really waiting to meet you guys...and try some great wines! Had a bottle of croatian local wine tonight...well....they could improve a lot!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb