Heading up the Danube


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Szentendre
July 15th 2017
Published: July 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To Szentendre


Our plan for Saturday was to get the 10am hydrofoil to spend the day in Esztergom, a small town on the Danube Bend on the boarder with Slovakia. The Danube Bend is meant to be possibly the most beautiful bit of the whole Danube & Esztergom a lovely town to visit there. We were also planning to stroll accross the bridge in to Štúrovoin Slovakia & up our country count for the holiday. Because of the swimming championships in town I double checked the website on friday night & found no reference to any disruption, however on turning up at the ticket office at 9:30am we were told "no boat", looking around there was an A4 sign up next to the counters (inside the building which was shut when i last walked past or I'd have gone in to check) saying no hydrofoil iuntil August. Bummer. We discussed our options and decided to go for the 10:30 ferry to Szentendre instead.

Szentendre is at the start of the Danube Bend so not quite so spectacular views but it's a pleasant enough little town to potter around for a few hours. It's full of touristy souvenir shops, artists/art gallaries & churches. Due to my limited packing space (carry-on only luggage) I didn't get a cute little jug with a couple of squirrels on, much as I loved it, I also forwent the pretty embroidered shirts that were so lovely & colourful! We did get some lángos (traditional savoury donut type food) for lunch though. This was also the only time we got rained on - good job I packed my pac-a-mac!

We got back to Budapest in time to wander around a little more & buy some Pálinka to try before heading to the Buso Bistro for a traditional Hungarian meal of Magyar gulyasleves (goulash soup) & paprika chicken - very tasty! Plus I managed to only get a tiny spot of goulash on my white shirt which luckily washed out ok. Again beinmg the party animals we are we turned in at a resonable hour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Pretty little churchPretty little church
Pretty little church

Lutheran church
St John ChurchSt John Church
St John Church

Catholic church in pride of place in a lovely cobbled courtyard on Church Hill
Beograd churchBeograd church
Beograd church

I think....


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb