A christmas time in Budapest, with the famous christmas markets !


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
August 14th 2013
Published: September 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Budapest...



We didn't came to Budapest to the aiport, so I can't help you to get to the city from there...

You came from Bratislava, the flight was way cheaper, and the bus was just 10€ for the round trip. I recommend you to do that if like us you're student for exemple 😉

You'll find a lot of shops there, especially underground in the underground way to cross roads.
But not so much supermarkets.
You can have lunch or dinner for not so much, like 3€ in a chinese or turc restaurant. But, local plates are way more expensive.

Local wines and alcoohol are cheap, I recommend you to taste the white wine, very good !

There is a park just after the first bridge, very nice, going into the forest, very natural and pleasant ! At the top, there are statue, especially one, a women carrying some kind of huge leaf, very famous in there.

Like everywhere in Budapest, you have 50 shops around the monument to sell you food, drink, cards, souvenirs...

Remember that Hungary doesn't have euros, so you might change money at the aiport or in the city, the rates are always good.

But, almost every street shops accept euros, just be careful about the change.

The chain bridge, very famous bridge, is very nice, and you can cross it by walk, old style.

If you need to eat or drink something from where you're from, that's not a problem! You have a lot of pubs selling beers from all over the world. Or chinese/korean/french/english/japanese/italian...restaurant. Just choose !

It's a christian country, so there are a lot of churches every where, bigger the one after one !

The parliement is very huge, and placed just in front of the Danube, so you have a georgeous view from the other side! If you are on the parliement side, you have a lot of shoes all along the Danube, some kind of memorial to the drowned jews during WWII.

During Christmas, the whole town is decorated, especially in the market places. A lot of huts selling candles, souvenirs, hot wine...It's very expensive, the shops all around are way cheaper...But you can taste few things like hot wine or local cheese (for a french like me, the cheese was disgusting...).

The synagogue of Budapest is very famous, it's the biggest of europe and 5th of the world ! We didn't come in, because it was closed, but if the inside is as beautiful as the outside, it might be awesome !

The heroes square is a the end of the main road, you can catch the first subway in Europe, and even of the world! It's very typical, but the subway stop is very very small, and not as beautiful as I thought...The square is surrounded by museums.

The Budapest castle and the Matthias Church are situated high in the city, so you have a whole view of the city, it's very beautiful, you see the parliement, the danube, the chain bridge...You can "enter" in the castle for free, but not in the church...So, we didn't come in, I'll never pay to enter in a church...that's a principle for me. Christianity, like every religions, it's to help people, not take his money...

The office of the president is situated just next to the church. Surrounded by nice building, it worth the view!

You can take a funicular railway to go down, hey, you might tired after all of this !



Budapest, like Bratislava, Vienna, and Prague, is an central-eastern country, along the Danube. And, as the 3 other ones...go there !

Although, I prefered Bratislava and Vienna to Budapest!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb