Castle Walk in Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
October 10th 2011
Published: October 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day to explore. Well I learned first thing that Buda and Pest were two different cities at one point. The side I was on for the Hostel was on the Pest side.

I started off with some good Hungarian Breakfast....Eggs with cheese and meat. I then walked to the train station the get my ticket for the night train to Brasov, Romania for Tuesday night.

I took the metro straight to the Castle on the Buda side and started the walk around. It had some fabulous views of the city and the Danube River (which separated the Buda side from the Pest side).

I started the personal walking tour at the Vienna Gate.. walked my way around seeing the huge National Archives... Small prison where Lajos Kossuth ( led the war of independence) was held.....a Hilton Hotel next to a church which was controversial....Former Ministry of Defense which was bombed out during World War 2 .... Some castle and church ruins.... Sandor Palace... and the Statue of the Turul. There were also tons of other statues in this huge Fortress... one especially for the students....students would rub the balls of the horse for good luck before an exam. I then walked down the fortress from the other side and down to the River and crossed the Chain Bridge. This was about a 4 hour walking tour with a guide book.

Went to see Basilica of Saint Stephen after that also had the mummified hand of St Stephen. Very Interesting.

Grabbed some food right in the square at the Basilica and then went home and relaxed. Had a lot to see tomorrow and catching a night train too.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb