Budapest Jewish Quarter


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
August 20th 2021
Published: September 5th 2021
Edit Blog Post

The Jewish Quarter is considered to be the inner part of Budapest District 7. It was here that Jewish people started settling down in the late 18th century (the medieval Jewish Quarter the on the Buda side was decimated during the battle between the European allied forces and the Ottomans in 1686.)

Budapest's rapid urbanization and economic development at the time presented plenty of business opportunities for Jews, drawing them in increasing numbers. They, in turn, further contributed to the city's progress.

By 1867, around the same time as in Western Europe, Jews in Hungary gained full civil rights. As a result, the Jewish population continued to rise and by 1910, more than 23 percent of Budapest’s population was Jewish. The Jewish Quarter became a buzzing neighborhood, teeming with retail stores, kosher restaurants, and three synagogues near one another.

The mutually beneficial relationship between Budapest Jews began to deteriorate after WWI and culminated in the tragic events of the Holocaust — in the winter of 1944, Nazis and Hungarian fascists turned the Jewish Quarter into a ghetto where thousands died of famine and starvation.

In January 1945, the Soviet army liberated the ghetto and saved its residents
from deportation.

The Jewish Quarter declined during the communist era as residents moved out en masse or fled from Hungary altogether. Today, fewer Jewish people live here and most, but not all, signs of Jewish life have disappeared. The densely built streets and three beautiful synagogues, known as the "synagogue triangle," still stand as a reminder of the past.



The neighborhood hasstarted to reappear thanks to the booming tourism.

Unfortunately, the Jewish Quarter is becoming a victim of its own success. Skyrocketing tourism is driving the prices up and the local residents away.

https://www.heygo.com/adam


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement








Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb