That Dreadful Hungarian!


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
October 24th 2017
Published: October 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Do you remember that "Dreadful Hungarian" (per Mrs. Pearce) named Zoltan Karparthy from My Fair Lady?
As sung by Professor Henry Higgins: "There he was, that hairy hound From Budapest.
Never leaving us alone, Never have I ever known
A ruder pest." We do not intend to crash any Hungarian parties, nor try to fool Zoltan again. But we intend to find out more about Hungary on this trip. I did not realize that Hungary became a kingdom in 1000 AD, and was instrumental in holding off the Ottoman's expansion into Europe. They were once part of the Celtic world, then the Holy Roman Empire. The CIA says: In 1956, a revolt and an announced withdrawal from the Warsaw Pact were met with a massive military intervention by Moscow. Under the leadership of Janos KADAR in 1968, Hungary began liberalizing its economy, introducing so-called "Goulash Communism." Hungary held its first multiparty elections in 1990 and initiated a free market economy. It joined NATO in 1999 and the EU five years later. The area of Hungary is about the size of Indiana, or 93,000 square Km. It is bordered by Croatia, Austria, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Ukraine, and Slovenia. About 59% of the land is agricultural, with 22.5% forested. The population is just under 10 million, with 86% Hungarian, and Hungarian, known as Magyar, the official language. They are not Slavic, they are Magyars. Life expectancy is almost 80 for females, and 72.2 for males. About two thirds of Hungarians are Roman Catholic. Literacy is 99%. Like most of eastern Europe, Hungary is a parliamentary republic. The chief of state is Janos Ader, and the Prime Minister is Viktor Oban. Their GDP is roughly $268 billion. Its main agricultural products are what, corn, and sunflower seeds. Its main industries are mining, metallurgy, and construction materials. Besides Zoltan Karparthy, other famous Hungarians include: Franz Liszt, Georg Solti (most Grammys in history), the Gabors, Harry Houdini, Johnny Weissmuller, George Soros, Edward Teller, Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, Bela Karolyi, Tony Curtis, Goldie Hawn, Kate Hudson, Attila the Hun, Joseph Pulitzer, Peter Falk, Paul Simon (Hungarian parents), Calvin Klein, Estee Lauder, Monica Seles, George Pataki, Andy Grove, Erno Rubik*, Bela Bartok, Jerry Seinfeld, Bela Lugosi. and Eugene Ormandy. The ballpoint pen was invented by Laszlo Biro. The Hungarian currency is the forint, 285 to the dollar, though Euros (300 forints) are accepted at most hotels and restaurants. What to buy? Smoked sausage, cheese, goose liver pate', spices, wine, palinka, and unicum. Hungarians are proud of their cuisine, called Magyar konyha. The national spice is paprika. Naturally, the national dish is goulash, called porkolt by Hungarians. Most meals are served with Hungarian pickles, with the carbs mostly potatoes, rice, or dumplings. Of all the beer and wine here, Hungarians are best known for their tokaj, a sweet dessert wine flavored by noble rot. Peter the Great, Louis XIV, and Beethoven all took a liking to tokaji. Both Hungarian champagnes and wine are sweet by our standards. Palinka is a brandy-like drink, 50% alcohol, made from fruit. It is the social drink served to guests in most Hungarian homes. Unicum is a digestive, made from a secret formula of over 40 herbs. Lake Belaton is the largest lake, often called the "Hungarian Sea" in central Europe. Hungary has over 450 public spas and bathhouses. Hungarians love hot water! Hungary has produced 13 Nobel laureates. Best of all, there is a statue that will make me a great writer: Touching the pen of the statue of Anonymus in Budapest's City Park will, legend has it, bless you with great writing abilities. You may not believe it, but the shiny surface of the pen suggests that many still do. I need to make a visit.
Hungary is home to the world's first wine region. We tried our first Tokaji last night. Quite good, sweet, full bodied, great with a less sweet dessert. When all else fails, palinka solves all that ails you or me. The palinka we tasted was cherry flavored, and almost 40% alcohol! But be careful, it is considered rude to "clink" your glasses or beer bottles. Water polo is the national sport. Hungary is home to the world's best female chess champion, Judit Polgar, a chess master at the age of only 15.
Can you believe they have not one, but TWO paprika museums here? One is Szeged, and another in Molnar. They produce over a thousand tons of paprika annually. Some stores sell only one item, paprika!!! Count Dracula is believed to have been based on a15th century Hungarian villain, Vlad, the Impaler. Elvis is an honorary citizen of Budapest. Hungarians must name their children according to a pre-approved list.
I can almost see Eliza Doolittle cavorting with the Dreadful Hungarian in front of our hotel. Makes for some non smoking charm!
*hint: the color of a side is determined by the middle cube. The world's record is 4786 cubes in 24 hours by Milan Baticz.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb