Budapest Day 1


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Pest » Visegrad
April 8th 2012
Published: April 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

So we made it in one piece more or less to Hungary



Now we were a bit spoilt because I got us a deal at the Ramada Plaza, but we had to get there first. We got a 3 day travel card here for 3850 HF We also had to get some hungarian coins and figure out what the hell they all meant!

So we got the metro to the overground and then it was only a 5min walk from the overground. Dropped our bags off at the hotel as check in wasn't till 2pm and decided to go look at something close by. Hopped back on the tram and went down towards castle hill. We figured out we could use our cards to swipe open the bank in order to get money out, which was handy. But unfortuantely most things were shut today because it was Easter Sunday.

So we wandered up the hill, and this was a bit of a hike! And saw all the beautiful tiling on the church roofs. Went and looked out over Budapest. Saw some people with Falcons and Eagles getting money from tourists. Then we found the Labryinth. Now we had looked this up and it said it was closed but apparently it reopened 2 weeks ago. It was 2000HF to go in so we thought what the hey. It was kinda cool, but there was nothing really down there, you just wander around for a while. What we found out later was that if you go in the evenings, they give you an oil lamp and you get to go in the dark, so we were abit gutted to have missed that.

We then wandered down the hill and found a restaurant. It was a bit to posh for us, they had a piano player and everyone was drinking expresso so we only had a cup of coffee. Plus they weren't serving any food yet at midday! I got upset because I ordered a mocha and I hardly drink coffee and it came out like an expresso. A tiny little cup I was like um I will drink this with one mouthful, was a rip for 3 euros!! Rachel was patient with me while I ranted and we left. Then we had to work out where we were, and ended up walking through the tunnel rather than back over the hill because we were now on the wrong side. As we walked towards the tram stop we found another little restaurant that was more our style, and they were actually serving food! So we went in, I introduced Rachel to Kriek beer yum! and I had some gnocchi made out of sheeps cheese. Well that was a bit much for my stomach so I felt quite queasy and didn't finish it. We decided to go check in and have a sleep after our long train journey. Got back to the hotel had a nap felt better and decided to seek out dinner. Well everything was still closed 😞 So we walked into a random square about 10mins from the hotel with some statues of ladies with umbrellas. Ended up in a restuarant which wasn't horribly expensive again had a band playing. I got chicken crusted in seeds and dumplings. It was really nice but all a bit too dry, I needed to have ordered some other kind of vegetables to get a bit of sauce going on. But i think our dinner each was around 2000HF with a beer as well.

So we headed back to the hotel because everything was shut and went to bed to prepare for our 3 hour walking tour tomorrow..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.073s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb