Eurorail Trip Day 21


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Buda
July 30th 2009
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we were going on a rather long train trip... well only 2 and half hours each way but long enough for now. We decided seen as we were so close we should do a day trip to Budapest in Hungary... best decision we ever made as if Saturday was anything to go by Bratislava would have been a nightmare to stay at on a Sunday.


So we managed to catch our delayed train (it seems the train in the morning is always delayed, think the driver stops for breakfast or something!) the train was rather fast and very scenic as there are lakes etc all the way. We arrived a Budapest at about 12 ish in the afternoon and first thing was find out what time our train was going back, we had 6 hours in the city  hmm sight seeing is going to be very pressed for time today!


We finally deciphered the banks and got Foot (their money) only 5000 of them to start which is equivalent to about 20 euro... but it feels very strange to pay for something with a 5000 note... yes just one.
So we got on the underground to the main centre and decided to grab some MacDonald’s... standard food as they all the same! Thank goodness. It was good, better than Bratislava. We had to have that take away as we were going to catch a sightseeing hop on - hop off bus to see the city and the sights. It was pretty wicked and in between the 8 stops we got some pretty amazing pictures even though we were driving in a bus, it was pretty relaxing to just sit and not walk around etc etc.. Have to say my favourite is the panoramic view of Budapest that you get from the top of a hill... wow!


We then rushed around the city square buying some souvenirs and Gail did some sunglasses shopping as a day in he sunshine had just about killed her already!  Lucky for here they were cheap as chips and then we went to relax and have a beer in the lovely Hungary!  It was nice to just sit and relax after a very busy day and just before a long train journey back to Bratislava.


The train was good we meet an American guy, Marcus from Atlanta that is living in Bratislava as he has a job there. Then we also meet a really nice Bulgarian guy that had been the grand prix for the day... can you believe we were that close and had no idea that the grand prix was on!

Anyway we got back to Bratislava just in time to catch one of the last trains back and passed out in our beds as we were completely knackered and catching a 37 hour train the next day to Athens was not going o be great!


Till we meet tomorrow...



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb