Delos Island and Wind

Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
October 13th 2013
Published: October 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.4438, 25.353

It was very, very windy today – mistral winds, cool and from the north. We spent much of the day trying to catch the ferry to Delos. It wasn't complicated, but we weren't sure how large the ferry would be, and there were a lot of people who wanted to go. We didn't know if we could all fit on, so we didn't want to go too far from the loading place while waiting for the ferry, especially since we just bought tickets – not tickets for a particular ferry. The 10:15am ferry was very large, and there was no issue with it selling out. We had a bumpy ride over, but we sat in the lee, so we were not too windblown. We had a short visit to Delos, which was in some ways unfortunate, but as the wind was increasing in strength all day, we decided to opt for the 12:15pm return ferry instead of the 2pm.

Our time on the island was spent mostly visiting the old houses, to view the mosaic floors in situ. We did not really visit the public spaces. The mosaics are beautiful, though, since they are still covered in dust, they are sometimes hard to view. I think the loveliest house was off the beaten path: the house of Masks. It has several mosaics, all well protected with (probably reconstructed) ceilings. We also really like the House of Cleopatra, which was a slight deviation from the main path. It has multiple columns and a couple of (headless, of course) statues.

The return trip was very, very bumpy. In fact, the pilot made a huge deviation from our outbound route, zig-zagging so that the swells would not hit the ferry broadsides. It took an extra 15 minutes or so, as well. The ferry was also much more crowded than it was on the outbound trip.

We wandered around the town of Mykonos for an hour or so. The warren of narrow streets is charming, and it was so nice to be out of the sun and wind. We bought inexpensive – but delicious – gyros with everything on it, which we ate as we wandered. There are many small hotels that look delightful in the town. Most shops were open, but a few appeared shut for the season. In any case, they were locked, so it was clear they were not open at that hour, today.

Our route took us to the edge of town, and we turned and walked back towards the famous windmills (some of which, at least, are now private property). They are well-situated, because it is incredibly windy there – especially today with the mistrals. We sought shelter in the warren of streets but were so sapped from the wind that we decided to return to the ship. A tender was just arriving as we reached the dock, so it was a short wait. The return trip was bouncy – at one point, water came through the dodger above the driver, and he became soaked. We were fine – though choked by diesel fumes – at the back.

On board, we had a small salad each, eating, as we have done, in our suite – might was well take advantage of having a table and comfortable seats and space. We then set to chill, and I fell asleep. Later, we got coffee and sat outside upstairs until it again became too windy. The ship was clocking wildly, which was entertaining. Finally, around 6 or 6:30pm, we had weighed anchor and retrieved the tenders (in that order) and set off, wind howling all around us. You could feel the ship listing from the wind. Wow. We had dinner in the dining room, then went upstairs for one final happy hour. Then, to bed (not too early), because tomorrow is a long day.


Tot: 2.369s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.08s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 3; ; mem: 1.3mb