Not Bad


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
September 4th 2013
Published: September 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Free wifiFree wifiFree wifi

At a beach cafe offering free wifi, Mom catches up with the family as I look on approvingly.
Geo: 39.0742, 21.8243

We arrived here ready for disembarkation at 8am. It's a nice looking port, at least from the ship. We can see an old castle-like structure up on the hill as well as one in the middle of the port. We take a tender to the town after breakfast. We usually wait a little for the crowd to die down. There's always a group that has to be first into port and then back to the ship before everyone else. While that may be a great plan, it's very difficult to execute unless you get up early for breakfast or skip it and hang out on deck A waiting for the tenders to start boarding. I just know that a schedule like that will never happen so we choose to let the crowd go and follow after.

Now the big attraction in Nafplion is the castle remains up on the hill. Two ways there: bus or walk. It's hot out, maybe 85F and a long line waiting for a bus that is supposed to be back in an hour. I'm not a line waiter and Mom is always wanting a reason why we even left the ship so I have to
Mom's favorite placeMom's favorite placeMom's favorite place

When we're not in port, the ship stores are open and Mom loves the duty free shops, especially the jewelry.
come up with some entertainment pretty quick. The bus is out and it's 900 steps up to the castle so I fall back to the old standby, shopping. Mom will do that providing it's flat and not far. It is and she walks through the shopping area. It seems like more of the same but still she's amused for now and I take a few more pictures.

After a while, we return to the ship early so Mom can try out the pool before the crowds hit. We do that and have a snack poolside. Not a particularly exciting day but the port was ok. We are done with the three destinations given to us for missing Israel and I can tell you that they didn't come close to either Israel or, for that matter, Egypt which was what made this segment of the trip so interesting.

Tomorrow we meet a buddy of "Lefty" to take a private tour around Crete. I set this up long ago with a highly recommended guide so we'll see. Mom isn't too sure about this plan. We'll see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Back on boardBack on board
Back on board

Mom checking out the ship's pool. Water is just right.
Mom found her fruitMom found her fruit
Mom found her fruit

Dragon fruit. Min knows all about it
Mom back from shore and gambling away.Mom back from shore and gambling away.
Mom back from shore and gambling away.

Now you know this photo was staged although it was a penny machine. That's still "big bucks".


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb