Lots of Stores! Oh Boy.


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
August 29th 2013
Published: September 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

WindmillsWindmillsWindmills

They're not in use any more but still quite a sight.
Geo: 37.4438, 25.353

We docked at the Greek island of Mykonos early in the morning, just after sun up. We were up and getting breakfast around 8am when the first tender left the ship heading for town. We decided to let the crowd die down and finished our breakfast before going down to level A at the water line to board the tenders. The water is smooth and we scoot across it to the pier, the town hanging from the hillside above it and draping itself all the way down to the port. The minute we embark from the pier, vendors selling food and trinkets begin their onslaught to the cruise ship passengers, looking to relieve them of their money even before entering Mykonos.

From the pier, we walked past many cafes offering all types of food and drink, served with free wifi. That's what I've been looking for. But we just ate breakfast so we continue on into the center of town. Mom finds lots of stores displaying Grecian products of all kinds. I ask her, "Could Nickole wear that?". "Oh yes, of course", she always replies.

The town is quite picturesque. It's totally white with different accent colors. Access through the town
From the shipFrom the shipFrom the ship

Took this in the afternoon before we returned to the island.
is via walkways too narrow for a car. Lacking the typical grid layout found in most other cities, these paths meander through town with no rhyme or reason. Up, down and around, sometimes narrowing to allow only the passing of two people. We learned that the town was constructed that way to confuse and split up attackers into smaller groups that could more easily be defended against. Mom wasn't crazy about the climbing part. So we walked all around the flat areas. I went up to the top to shoot the windmills while Mom waited in town. Then we stopped at a beach side cafe for lunch and free wifi.

We headed back to the ship about 2 and hung out there for the afternoon. Around 6pm, we headed back to Mykonos for more exploring and pictures. I had reservations at a restaurant on the Platy Gialo beach called the Bonatsa at 6pm where they have dining on the beach and patio, music and dancing but Mom didn't feel like taking the 10 min bus ride so we just walked around and headed back around 8 to eat dinner. Everyone had to be back on board by 10 for an
Mom walking the streetsMom walking the streetsMom walking the streets

Sometimes the streets are even more narrow than this but it doesn't stop the shopping.
11pm sailing. There was no show tonight so we relaxed and watched the news. It's not good with all the action in Syria going on. I hope we can get to Israel before it gets too bad. We have some military ships in the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Here I amHere I am
Here I am

Taking a break. I carry this bag most everywhere as it holds my itinerary, three cameras, extra batteries, water and Mom's sweater.
Back on the shipBack on the ship
Back on the ship

Taking advantage of the free food before heading back to town.
On the shipOn the ship
On the ship

Mom out by the pool enjoying a snack.


Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb