At Sea


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
May 22nd 2017
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.7191, 19.5934

We sleep in later today. We had planned on eating breakfast in the Opus dining room but we have left it too late for that and so Oceanview it is. It's quite busy. Being a sea day there is no place else to go. We sit outside and although it's sunny the cool wind is still being a nuisance. Still after a shower, coffee and a fresh breeze we are definitely awake now.

Back at the cabin we grab kindles and iPads intending to find a quiet spot to settle. The solarium unsurprisingly is very busy. We grab two loungers on the pool deck but it's too chilly and exposed unless you lie in the sun. We head down to deck 5 where the steamers chairs offer a sheltered hideaway where we stay until it's time for lunch. Again Oceanview very busy but we have no trouble finding a table. I struggle with the food today. Not sure if I was in a fussy mood or there was too much choice but I didn't enjoy what I ate.

Post lunch we decide to stay indoors and settle in the Hideaway. It's a secluded area quite close to our cabin on deck 7. There are comfy chairs, small futuristic pod seating and large bulb like wood alcoves where you can sit and relax. There is coffee & tea making facilities on hand should you require. Mid afternoon we head back to the cabin and note that the sea is calmer and the wind has dropped. We head up to the Sunset Bar for a Peroni and it is much nicer than before. The sun is now beating down and Peter comments that he would quite like some of the breeze back. The pool deck and surrounds are strewn with half naked bodies with skin tones ranging from lily whites to deep bronzes.

For the first time this cruise we manage to secure some seats at the Martini Bar. Peter orders a Eurekatini and I a Sunset Martini. We then order Lemon Drop Martinis. We head up to the Sunset Bar for sunset tonight. It's warm and pleasant and the chilly breeze of the previous evening has gone. At around 20.15 the sun is setting over the Peloponnese the ship is bathed is a great laden glow and cruisers are gathered taking selfies and group shot.

We have dinner in Murano tonight. This is Reflections premier dining restaurant. The service and food are excellent. I'm no expert but am sure it's Michelin worthy. Our waitress is Alena from Belarus. I am sure she must have been a ballerina in a past life. She presents everything with a delicate flourish. Extended fingers and balanced poise. The food is exquisite. I have a starter of smoked Salmon and poppytoe crab rillette. I then have a second starter of scallops wrapped in filo pastry. My main is Le Group de Mer (Sea Bass). I kinda wish i had ordered the Dover Sole Veronique as it is prepared at the table and it's amazing to watch an expert fillet the fish in front of you. One of our favourite wines is also available, Mer Soliel, so we are even more pleased.

We emerge from Murano's nearly two hours later and as it's such a pleasant evening we head outside again to the Sunset Bar where the atmosphere is very relaxed and chilled. It's not a late night for us as we are tired by midnight although I do remember to rehydrate with water before I go to bed. Very sensible.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.38s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb