Daikofto to Kalavryta railway


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
October 18th 2014
Published: October 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

18 October 2014

We were up early to catch the 08.45 train. The Daikofto to Kalavryta narrow gauge rack and pinion railway was designed by French engineers, built by a mix of Italian and Greek labour and opened in 1895. It climbs 700m in 22.5k between the steep sides of the Vouraikos Gorge passing through tunnels, crossing bridges, screeching around impossibly tight bends and at times clinging to a ledge above the tumbling river. It gave us a memorable hour’s ride.

On 13 December 1943 the occupying German army set fire to Kalavryta and massacred nearly all the male inhabitants (498 people) in reprisal for the execution of some of their own troops by the resistance fighters. We visited the museum in the old schoolhouse which records this event and the memorial on the hillside above where the atrocity took place. It was a moving experience. We arrived back in Daikofto it time for lunch in the local taverna sitting in the shade of some large trees. Then returned to our idyllic seaside camping spot which was a fitting place to spend our last night in Greece on this trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb