Flying to Athens to begin my Holy Lands Explorer, MS Prinsendam


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
October 1st 2013
Published: May 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

I had arranged to arrive Athens on the day of sailing. The austerity riots erupted and there were random strikes by labor unions. The airport was shut down for a day, so I quickly arranged to fly in a day earlier. I will remember this forever, and take that extra day so I don't have to fret over these sorts of things. Luckily my favorite hotel in Athens, the Athens Gate, was available and not too near Syntagma Square where the unrest was unsettling.

Delta SEA to JFK most people slept until the second half. In flight movies, comfortable leather seats. Nice 767. Preferred seats that recline six inches as seat moved forward Short layover, onto AB 320 a fully full flight. Slammed up against a wall ( no window at row 15), very uncomfortable seats. Took something for sleep, woke up, ate breakfast sandwich, watched a movie. We were there. During the LLLLOOOONNNNGGGGGG line waiting for Greek passport control,a woman fell and hurt her hip and was carried out on a stretcher. I thought about how that could be anyone of us headed out on this trip. There but by the grace of God...



Athens Gate hotel is all remodeled and very boutique. Lots of modern fabrics. Dupuoni silk drapes in the rooms. 606 is high above the noise (but bring ear plugs anyway!) with a gorgeous view of the archaeological site of the same name, across the street. From here you can walk to the New Acropolis Museum, Syntagma Square, which on Sundays a 10:30 now has a guard ceremony with 300 participants.Rested at the hotel a few hours, showered!, set off on fool. The sun was blazing hot, so grabbed a bite to eat and headed back in to the AC. More napping. When it was almost sunset, headed to the top of the hotel which has been completely redone to include glassed in areas. The best view in Athens is from this hotel. The Acropolis at sunset is spectacular as is the whitewashed beauty of this city of whitewashed buildings and 6 hills. For sheer beauty, I don't think any other major world city can beat Athens.

I had prearranged with Paul's Taxi for ride to Piraeus. Glad I did, then traffic was a nightmare.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb