Day trip to Ancient Corinth


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
August 21st 2010
Published: August 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today, Jess, Rachel, Stavros and I went to Ancient Corinth. Even though Rachel and I went to Corinth last weekend, its not exactly the same place. Ancient Corinth is obviously the ancient city of Corinth (the one with Paul and the Corinthians). Regular Corinth is a newer city that is just above Ancient Corinth, right on the coast. We got dropped off at the top of the mountain where the ancient castle was (the Acrocorinth) and looked around there for a while, the views were awesome. Then we had to hike back down the mountain which was about 2 miles (luckily it is extremely windy today and the high was only 93. Its the best feeling day we've had in 3 weeks!) At the bottom of the mountain, the ruins were all fenced in but we didn't pay to get in since we could see everything through the rails. Saw the Temple of Apollo (pretty cool). Ate lunch at a taverna (like an outdoor restaurant) They brought out some fresh squeezed oj but it tasted more like a smoothie. Also they served us some bread and olives. Now I LOVE olives. These were not normal olives. These were terribly strong local olives. Then we shopped around in the tiny little village there (much smaller than in the new Corinth) and bought a lot of souvenirs: more postcards, an owl charm and necklace, Greek deck of cards with pictures on them, and a couple other things. Verry cheap stuff. After a couple hours of shopping and looking around, we went to another cafe and had our afternoon coffees (Rachel and I have perfected ordering our 'freddo cappuchino glika' or sweet, iced coffee with foam). Angeliki picked us all up and brought us home. She took us back home using this coastal road that literally is like a hardly paved path ON the edge of the water. Since it was really windy, the water was pretty choppy and a wave hit the rocks and splashed INTO the windows of the car. We were driving that close to the water. God a mouthful of ocean water from a wave while riding in a car back home. Pretty cool. Tonight I don't know what the plans are. Almost finished with the course!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb