Meteora to Thessaloniki via Lake Polyfito


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
June 11th 2010
Published: June 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Friday 11 June 2010

Km so far: 637


Left the Hotel Adrachti for the last time and decided to visit the St Stephano’s monastery as it had been closed the previous day. It is inhabited by nuns and we came across a few serving in the shop, selling entry tickets (€2) and at prayer in the chapel. It is a beautiful and peaceful place.

Came across a new looking road heading north, the general direction we wanted so followed it and were rewarded with a stunning drive. The gigantic stone rock formations of Meteora gave way to rolling hills covered in lush green grass with forests and individual trees, like an idyllic rural England but with very few people. Saw very few cars and felt we had the road to ourselves.

Almost overwhelmed by a swarm of crickets when we stopped at one location to take photos. Other natural hazards included wild tortoises - we saw two of them bidding to become road kill.

Stopped in a quiet lay-by for a late picnic lunch overlooking Lake Polyfito, a long man-made lake, then drove miles along its shore. There are no signs in Latin script in this part of Greece, and the signs are thin on the ground in general, so we took a couple of wrong turnings and ended up in hydroelectric power stations.

The country roads are mostly very good apart from a few serious pot-holes. There some parts where the road has been almost obliterated by landslides.

Eventually descended out of the mountains and took the motorway into Thessalonika, stumbled across our hotel and checked in. Spent a couple of hours wandering around the sights. We prefer Athens. Big café culture in Thessaloniki which is Greece’s second city, has a big university and lots of commerce including an enormous port. Hundred of people promenading along the sea-front. The slightly grubby city did not contrast favourably with the pretty village we had left in the morning.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb