5 Greek Islands to Visit this Summer


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
May 24th 2022
Published: May 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Greece is one of the most loved summer destinations in Europe. And there's no wonder why when you think how many beautiful islands it has.

But out of all of them, what are the best ones to visit? Let's find out!

01. Crete



Crete is not only the largest island in Greece, but it's also one of the most beautiful ones. Here you will find two of Europe's pink sand beaches: Elafonisi beach and Balos. Given the size of the island, it's probably best to pick what area to visit. I would suggest you go for the western part because this way it will be easier to visit Chania, the former capital and its charming old Venetian port and the two pink beaches, as well as Samaria Gorge.

And if you are wondering if it's better to rent a car to visit Crete, then the answer is: yes, that would certainly help. However, it's definitely not a must, you can easily spend one week in Crete without a car and still see the best of what the island has to offer. You can use public transport or tours to visit the highlights of the island. For example, you can use Chania as a base and book a tour to visit Elafonisi or Balos Lagoon.

02. Santorini



You'd think that such a famous place is at risk of being overrated, but that's certainly not the case with Santorini. The island is unbelievably stunning: the caldera with its picturesque white villages is a sight that you'll never forget!

And while the island is notoriously expensive, that doesn't mean that you need to sell your house in order to visit it. Even in Oia, the most popular and visited village on the island, there are plenty of things to do on a budget.

03. Mykonos



Mykonos resembles Santorini in both looks and prices, the only difference being that it is more known as a party island than its sister. Now if you like quieter vacations, there's no reason not to visit still. Just go out of season and enjoy the beauty of the island with way fewer crowds.

04. Lefkada



Lefkada is one of the two islands connected to the mainland by a bridge (the other one is Evia). This means it's really easy to visit if you want to get there by car. On top of that Lefkada has truly stunning azure waters.

If you are wondering what are the best places to stay in Lefkada, my recommendation is to base yourself somewhere on the western part of the island where the most beautiful beaches are located, including the popular Porto Katsiki. It's also worth mentioning that most of them are pretty remote, so it will come in really handy to have a car with you, be it personal or rental.


05. Zakynthos



Another island with unreal turquoise waters, Zakynthos became really famous for its shipwreck. It's located on Navagio Beach and it's only accessible by water. There's also a beautiful viewpoint from where you can admire both the beach and its shipwreck, albeit you'll have quite a lot of climbing to do until you reach it. I guarantee that it's totally worth it though!



So there you go, these are the 5 best Greek islands to visit on your next summer vacation!

What are you waiting for? Start planning your trip!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb