Santorini new places to explore


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
May 20th 2018
Published: May 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our travels have taken us to a new location today. In the early morning we took a sea bus from the Old Port in Mykonos to the New Port where we connected to a fast boat which would take us to Santorini. This ride lasted 21/2 hours. Upon our arrival in Santorini we boarded a bus to take us to Fira, the area we are staying in. It was a winding road up from the port to the area of Fira up the side of a mountain. I'm glad someone experienced was handling the driving. Just watching out the window was nerve wracking. The roads here are narrow and congested with motorcycles, four wheelers, buses, taxis and private cars. At times it's difficult to walk because of the close proximity to vehicles. We handled all that and arrived and checked in to our hotel and were given a room with a terrace and view of the sea.

In the afternoon we explored some of Fira. We visited The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and were able to go inside. These old churches are beautiful inside. The atmosphere is so reverant, quiet and calming. We also stopped to see The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary but were unable to go inside. To get to these churches it's a climb up winding stone paths but the views of the city and the ports are amazing from up there. It's well worth the climb.

We also walked around the Fira main square area which is crowded with tourists, shops and restaurants. It's a good area for people watching since there are visitors from all over the world.

Dinner tonight was Greek meatballs in tomato sauce with rice, salad and bread. It hit the spot and was delicious.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



20th May 2018
Dinner of Greek meatballs and rice

Photos
The pictures are great. I noticed your table cover appeared to contain a map of Santorini. Good thinking on the part of the restaurant.

Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb