Olympia to Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » West Greece » Olympia
September 11th 2016
Published: September 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Walked from hotel to archeological site of the Olympic Games.

It's a huge area and is amazing what has been dug up. The Germans were the first to dig up this site. The dig is still ongoing.

Next, on to Athens. The countryside is very lush, lots of olive trees, NB. The olives over here are completely different to ours at home, these are delicious, not salty. Sometimes they have to prop up the branches as they are dripping in olives. We passed two nuclear power plants, quite close to one another.

The temperatures so far have ranged from 22 to 38cel, but not muggy. Every now and then, we have passed solar farms. (Has got Warren thinking about the future of our paddock.)

We had a lovely lunch of fish n chips, fish fresh out of the Aegean Sea (Med), at Corinth which is a 6km canal. It had a submersible bridge and we were lucky we got to see it work. It goes a long way underwater, the water is very clear but it still disappears from view.

Arrived in Athens, I thought Rome had a lot of graffiti - Athens would have to have twice as much. There are not a lot of places not vandalised. This place is huge. We went for dinner at a restaurant that showed us how they get the olive oil from the olives, how they grind wheat for flour using a water wheel.

The dinner was traditional Greek, they showed us how to dance Greek style and taught us how to make Greek salads, Tzatziki and moussaka. Topped the evening off with traditional dancers and plate smashing - We had a ball.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Nuclear power stationNuclear power station
Nuclear power station

There were two quite close together


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb