Sunning in Skiathos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Skiathos
May 1st 2006
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It’s quite a short flight from Athens to Skiathos, one of the lessor known Greek Islands in the northern part of the Greek Islands. On arrival to the tin shed of an airport we were greeted by an Australian taxi driver who took us to our hotel in Nostos. A massive room at Nostos was great but the concrete box was quite cold and didn’t help that the heating did not work. The beach at Nostos was a bit dirty and the best beaches are Koukounaries and the oddly-named Banana Beach.

Early May is an interesting time to visit the Greek Islands as it is just before the tourist season starts and the weather, whilst not being cold - isn't exactly weather you can lay on the beach and sunbake in, with most days on our 4 day visit being in the low 20s and somewhat cloudy. Many of the bars in Skiathos are also not open until late May, making this getaway a very quiet one - which was actually appreciated by us at this time.

We spent a day at the neighbouring Skopelos island, which was just a short ferry ride away and had a great souvlaki lunch on the waterfront and walked through the streets of tacky tourist shops. We of course made the obligitory purchases of bronze statues of Greek mythology characters in the process.

Apart from that, we just took advantage of having a few days to unwind in the midst of our hectic vacation, making use of our kitchen facilities and local grocery store while enjoying some time to read and play cards by the pool.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb