Katakalon


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
July 20th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The ship and its 3400 passengers descended upon and overwhelmed the small Greek fishing village of Katakalon today. It was hard to believe that their quaint port full of modest fishing boats even had a place for the massive vessel to dock. I felt a little guilty taking over their town in this obnoxious, and I felt audacious way, but at the same time the whole town seemed to be about 30 shops supported entirely by tourist business. We walked along the beach and found the first signs of ocean life we’ve seen yet. We came across four fifths of a starfish, a dead eel, and many large jellyfish. This was exciting for us, after being 9 days at sea and close to concluding that the Mediterranean was incapable of supporting life. The reason to dock at Katakolon is because of its proximity to Olympia. We, however, did not go to Olympia.

The rest of the day was spent on the boat, sweating and swimming, alternatingly. We met John-Michael and Marie, siblings from Belgium, and spend most of the afternoon with them. As I was writing this, a boy came up and asked if he could play with the computer.
in the Mediterranianin the Mediterranianin the Mediterranian

on the beach at Katakalon
What else do you do on a mac other than photobooth? The results are here for your amusement. It certainly amused us (along with a good crowd of spectators). The kid’s pretty darned cute, and dancing and making faces in front of a computer is nearly irresistible.

-Erica


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

JellyfishJellyfish
Jellyfish

we saw many of these huge jellyfish along the beach and by the ship


Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb