Heat wave in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello!!!

So at the moment we are in a heat wave in Greece. Yikes! It has been well over 40 degrees for the last week or more. And it is rediculously hot. Athens was almost unberable. We were lucky though that our hotel had AC, except it just made stepping out into the heat that much worse.
On sunday in athens we got up and headed our at 8:30 for the acropolis. So off we went, hiked up the huge hill only to find out that the guards were striking. and we heard that it was the first time in 20 years. We never got to see the acropolis..so sad. We did climb to the aerogopolis (sorry for spelling) but it's the big rock just below the acropolis where in ancient times old senate members would meet to continue to discuss politics. definitely not as exciting but still cool..and then we hiked up to the hill of the muses. There we got a great view of the acropolis..but it's still not the same.

Then we went to keramikeos to see the old cemetery. That too was interseting be we got there around noon so the sun and heat sucked the energy out of us pretty quickly. Because the acropolis was closed we had lots of extra time so we decided to drive to sounio, where posideon had a temple. It took up 1 1/2 hours to drive there and I was stuck in the van which had no airconditionning and i was stuck in the back seat so it got very little air circulation..argh I almost got sick (surprise suprise I know) and we got there and it was a beautiful view, but not much to see and it didn't seem to make up for the long uncomfortable drive. So after a quick visit we took off for tragana. it's always so nice to drive into tragana after a long weekend. It's definitely feeling like home now. only 7 more weeks though. so crazy how fast it's going!


On friday the government aparently sent out a warning saying it was too hot to work past 12:30 and that all archaeological projects should stop....but we didn't we kept on going. But to try and fix that problem we have decided to get up a half hour earlier and finish earlier as well. When we got home today our roommate Jen (a staff member) was in our kitchen putting together some fans. We finally have fans for our house. We are probably the last house to get them because our house is aparently the coolest of them all, but still in 40 degree heat taht doesn't mean much...so hopefully tongiht we will have a good sleep.

I was back working in the olive groves today and it was hot...so Kerril (field director) said that it was ok for us to rotate going to jump off the cliff into the sea if we were getting too hot. he didn't want any of us getting sun stroke. So Christine and i did at our karpouzi (waterlmelon) break. It was so refreshing except when we had to get back to work in wet clothes. But even then it was worth it. we continued to go through the plow zone today and found lots of pttery and shells, I also found a spindle whorl. but nothing super exciting. We did however more 175 zambilis (baskets) of dirt. each basket is 30 litres...so that is alot of dirt. the record is aparently 200 on a cool day, so we were working out butts off! Tomorrow I think we're up to more of the same and then FINALLY on wednesday we're opening up a penguin! (if all goes properly!)

For the first time since we've been here we have a free night, we don't have a lecture so christine and i are taking full advantage of that...but really all that means is that we're at the becah cafe playing on the internet and then we might go and take an extra long nap before dinner..haha yah we're super exciting. but it's just too hot to do anything else!

Christines and i have been chatting and she's giong to see if she can extend her plane ticket home to travel with me after the field school. We're thinking about flying to crete for a few days. aparently it's not very expensive and how cool would it be to go and see crete! I'm hoping that will work out because it would be alot of fun.

Well i think that's all my news. Other then i'm melting right now sitting in greece and it's rediculously hot temperatures...not that i'm really complaining. and i'm sure most of you will be very proud taht I still don't ahve a sunburn! but I am developing some sweet tan line / freckle lines....

well i miss you all tons!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb