Athens and Sunion


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean
November 3rd 2014
Published: November 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

ATHENS. SATURDAY/SUNDAY. 1/2 November,2014

We arrived back in Athens in the afternoon,taking the very efficient and clean metro from the airport. The equivalent of $12 -v- Brisbane airport link to city, I am told is about $25. Much the same distance. Why? Is it population?

Didn't do much in the afternoon other than wander around the city which was bustling with people. Many young people. The cafés and bars were full. No signs of hard times here, nor at Santorini or Rhodes.

The temperatures are much cooler and we are noticing it. Wearing our warmest gear and still feel it. Mem purchased some gloves. And this is about as far south as you can go in Europe. Maybe we will need to reconsider our plans.

Ate Indian tonight, very tasty and good to have a change.



ATHENS-SUNION. SUNDAY 2 November, 2014. Beautiful weather, cloudless sky, but COLD.

Today we took the public bus to SUNION on the eastern shore of Southern Greece mainland. Here there is the Temple of Poseidon, very impressive, 5 BC construction, about 10 columns standing of the original 36. The temple has a prominent position perched on a high hill with majestic views.

The wind blew a gale and cut through us. Unfortunately we had a two hour wait for the bus. Nearly missed it as we were told to look out for an Orange bus. Instead a gleaming white tour bus arrived. You just never know, but hey, this is Greece!

The bus trip ran along the coastline from Athens and was very appealing. In parts it liked the foreshore at St Kilda. Many small private hotels and luxury villas, mostly closed up for the winter it appeared. The winter rains and wind result in much of this area being closed for the season.

We arrived back in Athens quite cold so surfed the internet in the late afternoon.

A good day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



3rd November 2014

Sounds as though you had a great time visiting the temple - was it the same as you remembered it 30 years agooo?? xxx
3rd November 2014

Sounds as though you had a great time visiting the temple - was it the same as you remembered it 30 years agooo?? xxx
3rd November 2014

Sounds as though you had a great time visiting the temple - was it the same as you remembered it 30 years agooo?? xxx

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb