Ending in Santorini and Mykonos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
June 29th 2015
Published: June 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Kamari BeachKamari BeachKamari Beach

Looking down from the hike to Ancient Akrotiri
PANORAMAS:

Fira and Oia on Santorini

Red Beach on Santorini

Skaros on Santorini

Ruins on Delos

Santorini and Mykonos are a feast for the visual senses. These two islands are way too popular, but shouldn't be missed for the sheer beauty they each possess. Both islands were moving into their high season and were overwhelmed with people and motorbikes. Buses were full, cruise ships were in the harbors, and streets were crowded. Many of our walks and hikes took us to some less crowded spots with amazing views and beaches.

One of the major things we do when traveling is walk. Santorini is a great place for long hikes and beautiful coastal walks. Details of our routes will be included with the photos. A new discovery for us was the senic walk through Imerovigli and up to the medieval fortress, Skaros.

Mykonos was windy and busy. After time in Mykonos town and a boat trip to the sacred island of Delos, we headed across the island to Kalafatis Beach. This is the longest beach in Mykonos and is a major windsurfing spot. We passed on the windsurfing and did a long walk from one end of the beach to the other.

The Greek financial crisis is the major news story. Other than the banks closing for the week it's business as usual in Mykonos. We fly out tomorrow morning, so we don't expect any drama before our departure. It's a good time to be heading into Switzerland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Restaurant row on Kamari BeachRestaurant row on Kamari Beach
Restaurant row on Kamari Beach

I heard my favorite quote of the trip strolling past the restaurants. One of the restaurant hawkers said to us, "Come in! We'll dance, we'll drink, we'll break plates". Pretty much says it all for Santorini!
A bride on a photo shotA bride on a photo shot
A bride on a photo shot

Weddings in Oia are very popular
Red Beach on the southern tip of SantoriniRed Beach on the southern tip of Santorini
Red Beach on the southern tip of Santorini

It really has red sand, but it's more like gravel.
Skaros - site of a medieval castleSkaros - site of a medieval castle
Skaros - site of a medieval castle

You can hike to the very top. We almost made it to the top and then it got too hard and too scary.


30th June 2015

Beautiful !
Very beautiful and entertaining ! Safe travels.........
5th July 2015
View from Skaros

Good to see you!
The photos are also a feast for the eyes! Love this one!
7th July 2015
Oia - on the north edge of the Santorini Caldera

Greece
Nothing more beautiful

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb