Serene Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
May 27th 2014
Published: May 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Can you clear your mind of your thoughts upon arriving in Santorini? This could be the destination or requirement to travel to if you seek help or guidance and need to forget everything while you're away. For real! The friends and family you've talked to about this magical and spiritual island will never prepare you emotionally and physically when you arrive.

We flew in from Athens for a quick 35 minutes and you could sense the excitement in the boarding area of the gate. Travellers dressed casually, beach attire or business casual. They were all feeling the same. For me it was because in the 80's I saw " Summer Lovers" with Daryl Hannah and Michael Pappas. My thoughts were that there couldn't be a place like this in the world? The movies cinematography takes you all over the island of Santorini (Thira and Oia) and patially in Mykanos near the middle and end. A "Chick Flick" for the girls and romantic couples but an amazing film to watch for future travellers.

Quickly we were swept up by the locals at the airport and in the nicest way to inform us that we could jump in a bus to take us to Hotel Kavalari for $15 Euro. That will be good. All the stress of getting there is taken away. When you reach the top of Thira, you better gat a new set of eyes! It's real, it's really real!

Take in the views slowly and embrace them and it helps to remember where you are for just a minute. Always look back with or without your camera . Look everywhere. In the mornings before breakfast listen to the chirping birds (many of the hotels and businesses have Finches and Canaries). You won't believe how quiet and serene it is. The locals will tell you at 8am local time is the best. The white wash buildings and random colurs (sometimes pastels) will set your mind at ease. In Oia i found my sunglasses came in handy. You will say to yourself, "I can't believe I'm here". It would be easy for me to think that everyone thinks the same way I do and I could only hope for that. There are people out there that think far more deeper than I do with meditation and Yoga and all types are covered here of course. What are they thinking of Santorini?

Through a recommendation of a friend back home while we were here, we found Franco's. A hotspot for drinks and classical music to match the tone of the sunset. Wow! It took a bit for the Wifi connection to work but when it did? I was more than excited to send pics via Facebook. Before leaving, and something I've noticed as a Photographer, take a step to the left, to the right, forward or backward and your picture will change dramatically. Always look back.

A bucket list adventure awaited us on the second day and it was a hike from Thira to Oia and the small towns inbetween. Total hours ran us 6+ but we heard from locals and tourists that it could be done in 2 + hours. Right!!! Walking sticks with 300% confidence required. It's not until you arrive close to Oia that you realize how high up you were and that you indeed just hiked it. That you will think to yourself how crazy you were. My mom is going to kill me when she sees the points of interest. Cinque Terre in Italy was advanced and scarier terrain but this hike was a bit deceiving and higher. Spectacular views that will not disappoint and your camera will love you for it. . Take your time and please wear proper footwear. 14km in total roughly but we've heard shorter.

Oia is to say the least, georgeous!! if you've been recently engaged, getting married or want the most out of a romantic holiday and certainly not to take away from the rest of the island. This is where you need to be and with sunglasses no doubt (the bright tiled walkway and the freshly whitewashed businesses and homes. The designs of these vistas in comparison to the sea are mind blowing and so many complex angles to look at. Pure Heaven is Oia! Worth the scary hike, worth the time and worth having that memory forever. My emotions are triggered.

However you need to save for this trip or how many referrals you hear from others. Believe and listen to them. Get Here! Get to Santorini, Greece.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb