Sunsets, swimming pools and ancient ruins


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
August 26th 2012
Published: August 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Santorini late Sunday night and went immediately to our cave house in Oia. It had a private balcony with a view of the caldera. The next day, we explored Oia for a little bit, then took the bus to Thira. Both Oia and Thira have a maze of little streets to walk around. In Thira, we did a little shopping and checked out a couple of orthodox churches. In the evening, we had dinner and watched the sunset from the restaurant in Thira.

The next day, Tuesday, we chilled out by the pool and took in the sunset at Oia.

On Wednesday, we had booked a buggy to drive around Santorini, but we changed it to an air conditioned car because it was too hot. We then proceeded to Old Thira, with a scary drive up to it. Old Thira is the ruins of a town built by ancient Greeks, but it had subsequent Roman occupation. We then went to the prehistoric ruins of Akrotiri, dating from the 3rd millennium BC. It was discovered about 40 years ago. This site was amazing because they have only scratched the surface. There were some excavated areas, where they had dug down to show how far buried the buildings were. Similar to Pompeii, it was buried under ash after a volcanic eruption.

Thursday, we chilled out by the pool again, preparing ourselves for Mykonos on Friday.

We really like Santorini, especially Oia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Donkey trail at ThiraDonkey trail at Thira
Donkey trail at Thira

Some of the donkeys coming up from the port.


26th August 2012

Sunset looks gorgeous!
Wow..... Akrotiri looks amazing... and you both look very relaxed!

Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb