Down Time


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
November 30th 1999
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Inviting?Inviting?Inviting?

You can see where they get the colours for the Greek flag.
To everyone who told us that we really should go to Santorini; thanks. We arrived exhausted and wondering if we would be able to get accomodation. The boat seemed to pull into the side of an enormous black cliff. For a moment it appeared as if we would have to either fly (difficult without wings) or get out the climbing equipment and start scaling the cliff face. On closer inspection, each of the buildings that lined the port turned out to be either an accomodation booking agency or car rental. Ten minutes later we were sitting in the courtesy van on the way to our hotel. In another ten, we were lazing by the pool and admiring the view.

Santorini was formed by the volcano that destroyed the Minoan civilisation on Crete. When you look out over the sea at Fira, it is easy to see the origins of Santorini. The whole island forms a giant ring (caldera is apparently the correct scientific term) around a central plug of black lava. It must have been some cataclysm when it blew.

This is a great place to do nothing. The hotel is not busy and is five minutes walk to
FiraFiraFira

Perched precariously above the blue
the centre of the capital (Fira). After we had spent a few hours rejuvenating, we hired a quad bike (thanks Jess) and had fun putt-putting around the island. The views here are phenomenal. All stark black cliffs, white white buildings and deep blue seas. You can drive nearly all the way around the place in under an hour. Rest is the most appropriate response.

After the second day, our feet have almost stopped hurting. Nearly three weeks into our Grecian odyssey, we have sampled most things on the 'traditional Greek fare' menus. We are now looking forward to the changes that Switzerland will bring.

By the way, we had a flying visit to Iraklion the day before we boarded the ferry for Santorini. The main aim was to visit Knosses and the musuem. Unfortunately, the museum was closed for renovations and access to the Knosses archeological site was limited because of ongoing maintenance work. Most of the site could still be reached, however, the parts that the guide book implored us not to miss were inaccessible. We tried to use the book's photographs as prompts for our imaginations but the whole event became a little tiresome and we
Santorini ScenerySantorini ScenerySantorini Scenery

You can see the volcanic plug on the right while the island curls itself around the edges of the huge volcano that gave it birth.
left after only an hour or so. In truth, we weren't that disappointed - Richard tells me that he has been well and truly "stoned" on this trip.


A BIG PS

We didn't fly out as planned because when we arrived at the airport at 6am we discovered that all the planes had been grounded due to a baggage handler's strike in Athens. What a pity - stranded in Santorini.

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We were able to recover more by lazing around the pool. We hired a car and saw the parts of the island that we missed. We took a sailing boat out to the volcanic plug in the middle of the island ring, walked around the rim of the smoking volcano and swam in some hot (well tepid) springs. Ohh, and we met a few new friends - an expat Kiwi and part time Aussie resident who is currently residing in Iceland, and a Canadian couple who have kindly invited us to stay with them when we drop by Vancouver in July. AND, we managed to avoid the cold snap that put the snow on the Alps ready for our sunny Switzerland sojourn. Things couldn't really have turned out any better.







Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Out for the countOut for the count
Out for the count

and so glad we came.
Santorini SunsetSantorini Sunset
Santorini Sunset

Peak hour at the taverna.
The Grand Staircase - KnossosThe Grand Staircase - Knossos
The Grand Staircase - Knossos

In 1900, a man named Arthur Evans, began a systematic excavation of the palace of Knossos. He continued his research until 1931 and is credited with a creative imagination and profound scholarship. Unfortunately (depending on how you see it) he rebuilt some of the palace according to his own theories about the way it looked. Now it is hard to see what is Evan's work and what is original palace excavation.
Minoan remains at KnossosMinoan remains at Knossos
Minoan remains at Knossos

Most of the site was just crumbling foundation walls
AhhhhAhhhh
Ahhhh

The most interesting archeological dig from Knossos - discovered by R.J. Taylor 12/5/07.


15th May 2007

Holiday bliss
Santorini appears to be my type of holiday destination. Good food, beautiful surroundings, rest and relaxation. What more could you want? Richard it's good to see you haven't had to give up your chocolate addiction on this trip. It looked deliciously messy. I'm so envious of the foods you have been sampling along the way. Bring on Switzerland!
15th May 2007

my favouritist places
great english, but you are in one week in my most favouritist places ever! glad you enjoyed the quad bike and the r and r of santorini. i also giggled at richards finding. swtizerland will be wonderful, be sure to take a cog railway to the top of a peak, its a great experience :) enjoy, travel safe, jess.
16th May 2007

disallusion of Knossos
Hi Dee and Richard now you done it. The Knossos was one place I have always wanted to go to after reading the Bull of Minos all those years ago as now will have to go back and reread and see if it was now written as to what Authur Evans thought it should have been like. I was so amazed at the time they had plumbing there and now after reading your account there I don't know anymore. I had poked your Dad in the ribs to tell him what I was seeing in writting that I found incredible now maybe that wasn"t so. But after saying that it gave me my thirst to find out more about this wonderous civalisation that had so many years before even more so than when in the early 50s that I did art theory at school. So enjoying your account of what you are both seeing there. See your educating me as you go along lol. Dad reckons you have alot of work to do to educate me there. But please say you have seen some of the acrobates that jumped over the bulls in potery there or I will be totaly disallusioned if you didn't.
16th May 2007

Now THAT's a holiday! Enjoy.
16th May 2007

Bull Jumpers
Saw them. Took pictures. Read the guide. Bought the book.
31st May 2007

i cant wait
just saw the pics... i cant wait to be there... miss you at school dee really enjoying the blog love di xx

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 59; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb