RHODES


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
October 22nd 2014
Published: October 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Rhodes 22.10.14. Beautiful weather

Walked along the Coast this morning, Turkey distant across the flat sea. A beautiful morning. Afterwards we ate breakfast at Koucos, which we later surmised meant Cuckoo. Ate breakfast of spicy Feta and thick Yogurt. Quite a heavy flavour not to be repeated!

Headed to the old town, we have become very familiar with the streets, and wandered the ancient neighbourhoods, a mix of Moslem, Jewish and Orthodox, not that we could tell the difference, but mostly quite charming, excusing the eau de cat! Narrow alleys opening onto wider thorough fares, which were lined with the inevitable tourist tac. We saw Singha T shirts ( thai beer), flea market jewellery, and dining spruikers outside every cafe. It seems that this is the future of mass tourism!

The harbour was port to four large cruise ships, so the old town was flooded with tourists. Over dinner, we asked the restauranteur, whom we have come to know reasonably well, if the ship tourists spend much money in the town. He said that they didn't only spending on minor goods. This seems to support the conjecture of those opposing the Gold Coast as a port for cruise ships.

Wandered back to room for the afternoon, later escaping to seek a refreshment. Numerous appealing bars in town, now mostly empty, readying for closure we guess, by month's end. Our friendly restauranteur says he will be open until we leave on Saturday. We have thoroughly enjoyed all our evening meals!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.656s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb