Rhodes


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
July 2nd 2014
Published: July 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

We are getting closer to the end of the cruise. There are two day left. We have seen so much and done so much, we will have memories and stories to share for years to come.Today we dock at the 4th largest island in Greece, Rhodes. Here we passed through the the harbour, where in ancient times stood the Colossus of Rhodes. The Colossus once stood with one leg on one side of the harbor and the other leg on the other side, forcing ships to pass below his 64 meter height. Nice story right? Well it is a lie! The Colossus was in Rhodes and he was 64 meters high and stood for 66 years in the center of town at the front entrance gate of the ancient city. No spanning the harbor. Unfortunately, builders in ancient times, did not have the technology to build to withstand earthquakes. The Colossus came crashing down into a ple of bronze rubble during spectacular earthquake. The rubble stayed where it was in a huge pile for 425 years, when one of the Ottomon Turk sold the bronze for scrap. What a mess there must have been. Rhodes, like many of the islands of Greece had an interesting history. First owned by the Greeks, then the Italians, then the Ottomon Turks and finally, in 1948, with the end of WW2, back to the Greeks. Also on this island was signed the Treaty ending WW2 and the formation of the state of Isreal. We visited the historic site of the signing, now a Casino. Our first stop was to the Monastery of the Acropolis where in 1340 was built a monastery by the Knights of Saint George, also known as the Hostelers or more commonly the Knights Templar. Rhodes was the site of the first Templar Castle, which still stands with its walls surrounding the city to this day. At the Monestary we visited the site dedicated to the Virgin Mary, as most Templar churches are dedicated. Here, in ancient times stood a temple to Apollo, and another to Zeus whose ruins are still visible. Also in the Acropilos, was a Cross, built by the italians that stood 28 meters high. Unfortunately this was a copy since, during WW2, the first Italian built cross was destroyed by the Italians as it was a beacon used by the enemy to bomb the airport below. So after the war, they rebuilt the cross to the exact same standards. Frome here our tour took us to the ancient city once managed by the Knights of St George. It is said that this city is so well preserved that if Knight of St George were to come back he coud easily find his house. The site is indeed imaculate and well preserved. The first 3 Grand Masters of the Knights Templar lived here in the Master's Castle in the center of town. From here the Grand Master ran the business of the Knights, protected the population and founded a first form of banking to allow pilgrims to make a holy pilgramage without fear of being robbed. Things were good, until Sultan Suelemon wanted to take the castle. Suelemon came with 400,000 men to attack a city protected by 7000 knights. The siege lasted 6 months with no result. The double city walls took a ponding but woud not fall. Gun powder was running low and the Sultan was about to leave, when a turncoat came and offered to surrender the castle if the Sultan would reward him. So the castle fell and the traitor was killed. It seemed the Sutan did not like traitors, good lesson folks. The center of the city now has a grand bazzar, like all towns in Greece. Here we have 1000 shops again selling everything you don't need but somehow want. We wondered the city streets, ate lunch at a fine local Taverna, and headed back to the ship at 2 PM for our short cruise to Symi, one of the smallest islands in the Aegean. By this time I was really tired. We went back to the Crystal and I quickly fell asleep for the 3 hour cruise. This morning and all afternoon my knees were killing me. My upper thighs were tight and walking was begining to become painful. The temperature was great, about 85 with a very cooling breeze, but my legs did not want any more to do with the tour. So Cathy left the ship with Noel, Rosie and Suzie and I stayed back to rest. I felt much better after my nap, but my legs are still pooped. I hope by resting today I will be ready for tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.477s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb