All Rhodes Lead to Lindos. Eventually!!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
July 17th 2013
Published: July 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

As a ‘one off’ we changed the way we travel, we booked an 'all inclusive' late deal to Rhodes, Greece.

Reason? After 5 months of being back home my feet were beginning to get that itchy feeling, we needed some more travel and until the schools break up for the summer there are some fantastic deals out there so we decided to snap one up. We’ve never gone for all-inclusive holidays before as we tend not to hang about around the hotel complex but this was a deal too good not to miss. We were a little apprehensive as you tend to get what you pay for in life and we had read some bad reviews on the hotel. We needn’t have worried we got lucky and were allocated one of the best rooms in the hotel, overlooking the pool, clean and airy. The food was good, varied and in plentiful supply as were drinks. Although we did hear complaints that there was no snack bar for food in between the three substantial meals that were on offer!!

The only downside was that you could be forgiven for thinking you’d stepped into a scene from the TV programme ‘Benidorm’. Towels were on every sun bed around the pool by 7.30am and many guests never ever left the complex swapping their sun bed by day for a bar stool by evening. This didn’t worry us as we were hardly ever there, preferring to explore the island.

We hired a car for two days and almost covered the entire island from The old town of Rhodes itself in the North down through mountain villages to Epta Piges (Seven Springs), then on to Prassonissi in the south ending up at Lindos on the East coast. Lindos was definitely our favourite place with it’s little windy streets, Greek Tavernas and rooftop bars with great views of the Acropolis that towered above the white-washed town.

The beaches of Lindos were much nicer than our local beach so after our time with the hire care we checked out the local buses and realized it was quite easy to get to Lindos from where we were staying at Kolympia. At least the first time we tried it was. After a few minutes wait on the main road the bus came along and whisked us away, twenty five minutes later were walking down the steep hill into the town and onto the picturesque St Paul’s Bay for a day of sunbathing and snorkelling before a leisurely lunch in one of the tavernas and a stroll around the many little shops.

By 4.30pm we were back on the bus taking in the scenery as we returned to Kolympia which was especially good for Stan as he no longer had to worry about driving and could take in the views.

Next day, Sunday, we decided to repeat the experience, sure enough the bus arrived on time only this time it was crammed with people, the driver pulled over and said “full up, next one in 5 minutes” and pulled off leaving us standing in the hot sun thinking an extra one had been put on. We hadn’t taken into account that it would be busier on Sunday when the local people are out and about. Unfortunately no ‘extra’ bus arrived until eventually 45 mins later when the next scheduled bus came.

Thanks Mr Bus driver for leaving us to stand in the hot sun for best part of an hour!

At least we were on our way at last, that was until it turned off the main road and wound it’s way all around the village of Arhangelos adding an extra 20 minutes or so onto the journey.

After another pleasant day in Lindos we opted for the 6pm bus. Big mistake! So had everyone else. The bus station was full of hot sweaty people all waiting for the same bus, when it arrived they all pushed forward with no thought for anyone else. After a lot of pushing and shoving we all got on and once the aisle was full to bursting the driver set off. Not the pleasant journey we’d enjoyed the day before.

The next day was our last full day and Kolympia was gripped in a gale force wind, not nice to get sand blasted on the beach not to mention all your possessions being whipped from out of your hand unless you hung onto them for grim death! Lindos had always been calm when we were there so off we set again. This time however we decided to try the earlier bus and avoid the rush. The early bus never turned up so once again we left standing in the hot sun for best part of an hour. When it did arrive there were no seats left but this time we insisted on getting on saying we’d stand in the aisle.

This journey took forever as the bus took de-tours to several different villages on the way meaning we didn’t arrive until midday despite setting of at 9am. These buses seem to do whatever route they want but no matter which road they take they do eventually get to Lindos so all’s well that ends well. The 4.30pm bus we left Lindos on took us straight back to Kolympia no hassle. Crazy bus system!

We spent the last day on the local beach trying desperately to avoid the hotel pool despite vacating our room at 11am.

So now we’re back in England enjoying the heatwave. Long may it last!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 25


Advertisement


Eucalyptus Street, KolympiaEucalyptus Street, Kolympia
Eucalyptus Street, Kolympia

Where our Hotel - Koala was situated


18th July 2013

Travelers have to travel...
even if only a short package tour. Thanks for sharing your adventure away from the hotel and pool.
18th July 2013

fantastic
Sounds great! How is the weather holding up in England? You\'ll have to make it to oz one day. You are always welcome to stay with us when you are in Melb. Looking forward to hearing about your next trip. You globetrotters!
18th July 2013

British weather
Well the weather in Britain is great right now, hot, sunny and calm, seems unbelievable, hope it lasts! If we're ever in Melbourne we'll come and look you up for sure. Thanks for the offer.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb