A tale of two beaches


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
August 3rd 2012
Published: August 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was our last day in Rhodes and so for the first time we all went out for the day together- including John. We headed down to the very southern most point of the island to a place called Prasonisi which has 2 beaches at the same place. The seas from each side of the island meet here with a sand spit in between.

We chose the right hand beach to start with as it had waves and looked more fun to play in. Toby and Harriet were very happy with the choice but Jonathan was affected by the salt in the water and started to itch all over. He even came up in a rash. Volleyball on the beach was a better option for him. This was the first beach we had been to which is sand not stones and it was perfect for volleyball. The only issue was staying out of the cords from the kite surfers. Everywhere you turned there were kite surfers, in the water and on the beach. The other side of the beach/ on the other beach there were also hundreds of windsurfers. The boys found a place to play and had a good game.

We decided to check out the other beach to see if it was better for the boys skin as James was also beginning to get itchy. The walk over was fine until you got to the sand in the middle that never gets water on it - it was boiling and really hurt our feet. The boys were more comfortable on this side which was like a different place as there were no waves at all.

We packed up our stuff and went to one of the beachside restaurants for lunch. Outside there was a shower to rinse off the sand and also a drying line where 2 octopus were drying. The man told us they would be ready by tomorrow lunchtime, but yesterday's catch were ready for today. Toby ordered it for lunch, but no one else fancied it. He thought it was very nice and tasted about 24 hours old.

After lunch we went to the other beach than we had been at first and we even hired sun loungers. The kids played for as long as possible but eventually got bored and so Toby took them for a walk along the spit and throught the water to the island at the end of the beaches. The water was really shallow the whole way but there was a strong current. They sat on the island beach all alone for 10 seconds before he made them go back, as he was not sure which way the tide was going and didn't want them to be stuck.

As it was our last night, once more we had to pack. We are really getting fed up of packing, but maybe we are improving our technique. We thought dinner in the village was the best idea so we went back to Roulas where we had been the first night. After the huge lunch we had all eaten, no one was really hungry. Harriet ordered the mixed Greek plate to try something new and only managed to eat about half of it, much to the waiter's dismay. She didn't care because Toby had to buy her Justin Bieber's new album for having a culinary adventure. We ended the night and our stay at the cocktail bar. Yamas!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.2047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb