Rhodes


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
June 26th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Rhodes townRhodes townRhodes town

One of the main gates of the fortress
Saturday 25th June, 2011

On arrival at the hotel last night we had problems with internet access, so we had set an alarm for getting up at 8 o'clock to have an early breakfast and give us options if we needed to move hotel or anything.

We went down to breakfast at eight thirty and the daytime receptionist was on duty. She was much more familiar with the passwords for access to the routers on the different floors in the hotel and we gained access to the internet. This was quite important to us as we needed to do various searches on our next move to see what options there were for ferries, accommodations and so on. Once we knew we could access the internet and although the hotel isn't the best, we aren't really paying much, so we decided that we would stay.

We then went to the room sorted a few things and headed out. Rhodes Old Town, which we saw briefly last night is an incredible fortress with massive defensive walls that still surround the old town to this day and governs the geography of the area.

There are a large number of people
Rhodes townRhodes townRhodes town

The street of Knights
here and today we saw three cruise ships in the harbour. One is Mariner of the seas and holds a maximum passenger capacity of 3807 just to give some idea of the numbers of people. Anyway, we had a wander round taking in the sights and looking in the shops.

We stopped for a drink and paid €5.80 for two glasses of Coke, they weren't even cans or bottles! We stopped for another drink later on and I had a toasted sandwich, which wasn't quite such a rip off. Then ambled back to the room in the early afternoon.

Pat now started her research and we have made some more plans. The booking at the hotel in Rhodes is until next Wednesday, 29th June, which is five nights in total. We will then make a big jump back to mainland Greece and will therefore book an overnight ferry from Rhodes to Piraeus on the 29th at 1530 hrs. arrives 0730 hrs the next day.

It is our intention to have a look around Athens. We have travelled extensively on mainland Greece and the islands over the years, but neither of us has been to the capital. We
Rhodes townRhodes townRhodes town

The Grand Master Palace
are very aware that there are issues in Athens with riots and demonstrations against the government, but having spoken to people we believe that we can keep well away from any trouble. We will obviously keep an eye on events and review the situation as time moves along.

So after the research we went along to ticket office near the port and have booked the ferry Blue Star 1, passage for 2 with a cabin €183.00.

Then for dinner and after a short walk in the old town we ended up at a place called Ntino Garden Taverna.

By the way I have discovered in my increasing skills in the Greek language that Estiatario means restaurant. So when in an earlier blog I said that we had eaten in a restaurant called The Estiatario I was being dumb! Now I know.

We had a Greek salad, grilled chicken and gyros plate with usual drinks €44.00. This town ain't cheap.

Then an amble back to the room.

Sunday 26th June, 2011

We went down for breakfast and returned to the room to shower and get ready to explore. We left the hotel at 1030
Rhodes townRhodes townRhodes town

These are everywhere
and were headed for museums. We were also looking for information about buses to Lindos as we are hoping to visit.

We also needed to find the route to the ferry berth in a few days time so we headed the back way out first of all to go further along the port. We ambled along through a run down part of town before hitting the coast. There is a lot of work going on in this part of the port and there are new harbour walls and dredging going on.

We found the entrance to the Blue Star ferries berth, so that was our first objective ticked off. We then headed off round the old town along the outside of the fortress walls.

The harbours go on for a long way and we found the main administration buildings of the town. The architectural influences are many and varied. The Italians were here for a long time and also the Ottomans. So some of the buildings are ornate. The more modern Greek buildings are fairly hideous and are an eyesore.

We came across Starbucks so had some refreshments before moving off to the bus stations and
Rhodes townRhodes townRhodes town

Part of the archaeological museum
finding out the information we wanted for Lindos, second objective ticked.

Then to the museum in the Grand Masters Palace which was full of archaeological stuff and a Byzantine museum. Entrance was €6 but well worth the money. The buildings themselves are truly fascinating and massive. There were some uniforms and bits and pieces relating to the Knights of St. John.

Then on to the the Street of Knights which again is very interesting and a wonder that it has managed to survive over the centuries as it has.

We headed next for the Archaeological Museum and again entrance was €6 and a wonderful historic building. Loads of stuff in the museum but we had started to flag and we had been wandering around museums for a number of hours so we gave up.

A little way from the museum we find a slightly posh restaurant called Sarris and enjoyed a fine meal. A Greek salad, mixed souvlaki and penne a la creme, with drinks all came to €39.40, so we were pleasantly surprised and they took credit card.

We ambled back to the room about 6 o'clock and were both weary.

After a relax and shower we went out at twenty past nine to see what the old city was like at night. Still hordes of people wandering around, lots of the shops open and the restaurants trying to drag customers in.

After an hour we ambled back to the room.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.347s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb