Adults Only


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes » Lindos
August 21st 2016
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Issy's been reading the blog. She asks me if I'm going to write that this morning I slept in. I remind her of author's prerogative. We sleep in. We move into our downgraded room. It's only slightly smaller than the suite, and the only other noticeable difference is that it has a chair instead of a couch. It is however higher on the hill, and has a better balcony and view. Issy says she likes it, so I think I may have narrowly escaped divorce yet again. I ask Issy if she notices any differences between our downgraded room and the suite. She says that the toilet door opens outwards instead of inwards. I hope this isn't going to be a big issue.

The hotel looks very new and much posher than we're used to, and we're both feeling a bit uncomfortable and out of place in amongst people who look like they're probably all dripping with money. It's built into the side of a steep hill overlooking a large bay, and is made up of a number of separate buildings which we move up and down between using lifts. There are four lifts in all; each lift serves four levels, so sixteen levels in all, and we need to walk through long windy corridors between some of the lifts. We're very proud of ourselves. It's not lunchtime yet, and we've only got lost in the labyrinth four times so far. The hotel has two pools for everyone to use, and we can see from our balcony that quite a few of the rooms also have their own private pools. Even our suite didn't have one of these. I can understand honeymooners wanting their own pool, but what about other people. I think the other occupants of the pool suites might be the poshest of the posh who either can't be bothered walking a few metres to the communal pools, or would be horrified at the thought of having to share their bathing water with commoners.

We park ourselves on the beach on sun lounges under an umbrella. It's very hot. The water is warmer than it was in Corsica, and the bottom is pure sand as it was in Corsica, with no rocks, shells or seaweed. It has a good slope on it so we don't need to go too far offshore before it gets deep.

The hotel is for adults only which we didn't realise until we got here. There's a section of beach reserved for hotel guests, and that's supposed to be private. Some local children swimming with their parents have drifted into the water in front of the beach. I wonder if that's private too, and if so how far offshore you need to be before it isn't private anymore. The local family group is making the sort of family noises that you'd expect them to be making. Two older English couples lying near us are clearly finding this annoying. They're muttering to each other that they paid to come to an adults only resort, and it's outrageous that children are allowed within earshot. I wonder if they're finding the ripple of the waves and the twittering of the birds annoying as well. What about the gentle breeze wafting through the beach umbrellas; that must be driving them crazy. Issy suggests that I don't offer them earplugs, no matter how tempting that might seem.

We'll be collecting a hire car tomorrow, and we'll have this for the rest of our time in Rhodes. Issy tells me that she doesn't think that we should drive here. She also said this on the way to the hotel from the airport last night very shortly after our lunatic taxi driver swerved into the gravel to avoid a head on collision with a bus. I think Issy's very nervous about us driving here, and I'm feeling a bit twitchy as well. It seemed last night that our taxi driver wasn't the only lunatic on the road here. Double lines and speed limit signs appear to be a waste of space.

We spend the whole afternoon lying on the beach and going for the occasional dip. We're very relaxed. We talk about serious subjects, such as how mermaids might go about reproducing.

The hotel says that it doesn't have a strict dress code for dinner, but then adds that it would prefer that "gentlemen" wore long trousers. I put on the only pair of long pants that I have with me; this is the first time I've put them on since we left home. We struggle to find the restaurant. We go up and down most of the lifts several times. The hotel directory isn't much help. It says that the restaurant is next to one of the pools, but that's not all that useful if you can't find the pool. I think that the hotel directory could do with a map. We get in a lift with a German couple who can't find the restaurant either, so we try to track it down together. The restaurant has a set menu which is a strange combination of buffet and a la carte. We're told to order one of three main courses from the menu, but then find a wide selection of other main courses on the buffet. We pig out. Correction. I pig out. Issy says that she didn't pig out. She also says that she probably shouldn't have had her second dessert.

Advertisement



23rd August 2016

Lovely, you'll have to grab one of those day beds on the beach before you leave.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb