Change of pace in Paros


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Paros
July 12th 2022
Published: July 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

An unpleasantly early start to the day to make the ferry and fit in with the hectic taxi schedule. The blow was softened by the soft glow of the morning light over the water and the appearance of Usscat, our resident stray, who had quickly recognised the easy targets within and thoroughly enjoyed their offerings of food. We were sad to leave him behind.

Controlled chaos at the ferry terminal but relished the chance to visit the local bakery and collect some treats for the journey before being herded onto the boat. A quick stop in Sifnos before we arrived in Paros to complete chaos. Luckily an easy escape and no repeat of the Rhodes cobblestone marathon and we dropped our bags at the apartment before going out to explore. Took a stroll to the beach and stocked up on groceries before satisfying our craving for gyros (and bolognese?!?). A bit more wandering in the old town and a rest at the apartment before the afternoon’s necessary salt water cleanse at Livadia Beach.

Some highly graceful entry and exit manoeuvres were on display due to the thin layer of rocks at the water’s edge. Lucky the water was refreshing enough to make the spectacle worth it. Dulled any remaining embarrassment with drinks by the beach before retiring for an early dinner at home and bed.

New day dawned with plans for a walk along the Byzantine road from Lefkes. Successfully negotiated the Paros bus system to arrive in Lefkes and let google maps/Geoff take over directions to the start of the walk. Pleasingly direct walk through the town to the path and we made our way to Podromos along the road made by the Byzantines. In most parts, it was well preserved and formed, and wended its way through olive groves and down terraced hills towards the coast. A stiff breeze at the top of the hill kept us cool most of the way and we were thankful for some respite from the sun. Feet were tired and sweaty by the time we arrived so we enjoyed a shady lunch spot in the traditional village before again successfully deciphering the bus timetable and making our way back to Parikia.

All that activity obviously justified a nap followed by a granita and a swim at the beach…this time accompanied by water shoes to ensure no repeat of yesterday’s waterside contorsionism. Dinner at a family ouzeria recommended by Aunty Michelle resulted in some very full bellies and a need to be horizontal quite quickly!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb