More island hopping


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Naxos
July 31st 2008
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 33

After three delightful days on Paros, our time came today to move on. We took the noon ferry to Naxos, only about 45 minutes away, round the other side of the island. Quite a different atmosphere. A bigger island, with more of a "town" like feel. The main town seems to have developed round a medieval Venetian castle. Many more boats at the marina, including private yachts and smaller cruise ships at anchor, all interspersed amongst local fishing boats.

Our island hopping package had given us vouchers for a delightful small hotel. A driver in a van met us and took us there along with four US uni students here on an internship for "animal studies" - ie pre-vet science. We have come across quite a few US students on summer school credits. On Paros they were Arts majors, studying classics and poetry. Lucky them. So we are at the Hotel "Soula". More up-market than the simple pension on Paros. We have a lovely , spacious room with marble floor and bathroom and our own blue-trimmed balcony with view of St George's beach.

After lunch and a siesta we went exploring around the town and especially
Marble pathway in ApeiranthosMarble pathway in ApeiranthosMarble pathway in Apeiranthos

We chose this lovely town in the interior of Naxos for a day trip away from the tourist and backpacker trail.
the ancient ruins and medieval castle. We also had a swim. I am obviously not yet in a position to voice an opinion on all beaches. But I can confidently say that if I could be given the chice of any beach, anywhere, Wanda at Cronulla would be hard to beat. Clean, quiet, no shops or commercialisation, easy to get to and park, great surf! None of these islands are in the race. And I am not comparing the (NSW) South coast beaches either as they are not accessible on a daily basis.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb